364 day challenge?

What's Hot
I cannot play guitar, I have seen other people do similar things by setting challenges for themsevles, I am looking to set a challenge of one hour a day for 364 days to learn just one song and record it each day to see how the progression of it comes along. The song I am looking to learn is laid to rest by lamb of god. Can this be done from scratch by me just grinding it out at a slow speed learning how to progressively play faster, are there any tips or informative videos/information anyone can help me out with? Am I being ignorant to how difficult this may be, is it even possible?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    My only thoughts are that if you are an out and out beginner, your 1 hour a day could be spent on more useful practice than just nailing 1 song. I would say, yes, learn the song by all means and enjoy it, but don't sacrifice time from other areas such as getting a broad base of chords under your belt, a few scales etc. or a firm Theory foundation. These areas will be far more profitable in the future, and will in fact make it easier to learn other songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I know a bloke who can only play one song. He plays it perfectly but he's lost when it comes to anything else.
    If that one song is all you want to hear then go for it but you might find it a bit frustrating.
    I think you'll learn a lot more by playing different stuff, making a few mistakes along the way than nailing just the one song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That sounds totally doable. I'd prob work onsections rather than do the whole song at like half speed then the whole song up 5bpm etc as it gives you a greater sense of progression earlier. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2020
    If you just want to learn that song I think your easiest entry into this would be via Rocksmith.

You can get Laid to Rest as dlc so if you have a pc/ps4/xbox you can get RS, then the song and it gives you tonnes of control with regards to sections, slowing it down, looping parts, etc. 

You wouldn't need to buy an amp either as the game has a rudimentary amp modelling section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEqKvsGhn0U
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited January 2020
    Take a look at Justin Sandercoe's website : JustinGuitar.com.  His online lessons are well regarded, and his site is comprehensive. Most of his website is free to access, though there are areas, such as the Music Theory area, which require payment for full access. He even has a Beginners Songbook Section, which you'd probably find useful.
  • I'm worried as the lack of responses to this excellent advice so far may mean that he has given up already  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 231
    Or you could just learn to play properly and be able to play a number of easier songs after 364 hours.
    As above, vist JustinGuitar.com.
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    Hey OP.  Whilst I didn't have the same sort of structured approach as you suggest I had the same sort of idea.  I had the tab to Seek and Destroy and I figured that I'd just sit down and learn to play that.

I'll be honest in that I still can't play it.  After a while I found that taking lessons was much more enjoyable than just trying to crack a single song on my own with no feedback.

So whilst you probably could I would suggest that either actual lessons or the JustinGuitar site are a better overall use of your time.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Sounds a bit like one of those stoned gradiose plans "dude what if I just like spent an hour every day just practicing one song, in just a year I'd be like the best in the world at that song!"
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4989
    Daft idea.  Guaranteed to turn you off guitar for life.  Set a target of learning thirty songs to a reasonable standard.  Lots of help and advice here if you need it.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited January 2020
    In line with what others have already said, taking the sensible more general approach when starting out will be more productive in the long run. 

On the other hand, it's no less important to (mainly) focus on stuff you actually like rather than exclusively toiling through guitar course examples.

If that's the style of guitar that you want to get under your belt to start with then go for it. It's a great guitar line and you'll cover pretty much all of the foundation techniques for that genre in the process. 

Do ask here if you hit a road block. 
  • Hello guys, I spent a good few hours on it today. I learned the intro and kept doing that until I did not need to read the tab for it anymore, I used the tab that's on songster. There is however one bit on the tab I used that doesn't make sense to me, there's a note but it feels like an extra note that isn't actually in the song if that makes any sense? So when I hit that note it just feels like i've added something that doesn't need to be there, I am not playing it at full speed so maybe when I learn how to do it full speed the note will make more sense.
  • So I’ve hit a wall. I’m trying to improve my speed but I can’t. 

At first when I was playing it I was only using 2 fingers on the fretboard, from things I had looked at online you need to use all 4 fingers....I find it extremely hard to do this at any sort of pace as it feels my fingers just do not move that way....oh well, time to get over the wall! 
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited January 2020
    Think you need to take a step back and get some technique under your belt. The more you practice anything, the harder it is to get out of the habit. You can of course solo with two fingers, but much easier if you have th option of all four. Possibly trying to run before you can walk. As others have said, Justin Sandercoe is a great resource to get you on the road to playing. 
  • I'd echo the thoughts of others - learn some technique, some theory, then give it a whirl.

Maybe instead of an hour every day, try half an hour on that and half an hour on technique to improve dexterity, speed, alternate picking, finger strength, etc.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    Austin316 said:
    So I’ve hit a wall. I’m trying to improve my speed but I can’t. 

At first when I was playing it I was only using 2 fingers on the fretboard, from things I had looked at online you need to use all 4 fingers....I find it extremely hard to do this at any sort of pace as it feels my fingers just do not move that way....oh well, time to get over the wall! 
    With respect this is because you are learning to run before you can walk. 

Structured learning would see patterns and exercise that use all fingers and improve strength. I don’t think there’s really a shortcut to this side of guitar playing. 

Dig out some exercises that use all the fingers on the fretting hand and get some open chords under your belt - alongside what you are doing and you’ll benefit from it.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited January 2020
    Play the 1234 exercise to a metronome. Or look up some permutations. 

The master of puppets riff is a good one. Start slow, build up. Uses all 4 fingers.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • Alex_MAlex_M Frets: 3
    I have not been playing too long myself but I would strongly echo what has been said already. Starting out with some open chords, a few scales and structured learning will make the whole experience more enjoyable. It will also make playing that one piece easier as you’ll develop further fretting dexterity. 

Lastly, you may find other songs in the coming year that you like and with a sound grounding it will be easier to learn those too!  

Best of luck. 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2295
    It's a leap year in 2020. When is your day off planned???
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 231
    Looking at the TAB on songsterr the song is at 206BPM with hammer ons, pull offs, bends, harmonics and rhythm interlaced with note runs. This is not an easy song to play.

Just forget it, learn to play properly and in five years or so give it another go.