Gibson 'new management' Les Pauls

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Soooooo - PRS still steered but the original owner and awesome like awesome or ................
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm waiting to see what the 2020 SG moderns look like. 
    I thought they’d scrapped the yearly range thing? 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10242
    edited January 2020
    I have a LP modern and it's amazing. Also have a new JR and its also fantastic. 

@Collings the fretboard was unconditioned on my JR, but that's an easy fix. It's only lemon oil. And the setup, well I don't think it's really fair to complain because the action is high as ultimately that's a personal preference. A lot of people will get their guitar set up in any case. It's shipped halfway across the world, you can't expect the set up to maintain even if it were perfect. 

I think you need to lower your expectations in that regard. 

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    I'm waiting to see what the 2020 SG moderns look like. 
    I thought they’d scrapped the yearly range thing? 
    In that case they'll look alot like the 2019 models :)
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1597
    Nikc said:
    Soooooo - PRS still steered but the original owner and awesome like awesome or ................
    Er, say that again?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    timmypix said:
    Bought a Junior Double Cut in the sales last week after fancying one for ages but not being able to justify the price. Finding a good one was an ordeal, I'll be honest, made more difficult by the fact that I was set on having a blue one.

First tried on in PMT before Christmas. Sharp fret ends and bad paint application (faded where the masking tape had peeled off on the neck) meant there was no way it was worth the full asking price. Amazingly fierce P90 but it would need a full fret job for whomever bought it.

Then went to GuitarGuitar in Birmingham once the sales started. Picked up a blue one - painfully sharp fret ends (I'm talking low end Chinese copy bad), a nut cut so badly that just playing an E chord pulled the G string out of tune. The nut was noticeably high to look at even before playing it! Some stray paint on the end of the fretboard. Not worth even the discounted price. Picked up the brown one next to it and it was fine! But I wanted blue...

As a last resort, popped into Dawsons Manchester while in town on a whim. Thankfully the blue one they had there was fine, so I bought it. Fret ends aren't perfect but they're not uncomfortable at all, and everything else is perfect. Need to make a NGD post actually!

I touched the fret ends on a few lower end models (Tributes/Studios) in all the shops and they also felt a little sharp; ceases to be an issue as soon as you get to the more expensive ones from what I could feel, so once you're in Classic/Standard territory you should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!
    Re: fret ends being sharp.

I'd put the blame on the retailers for this & not Gibson, they were probably fine coming out of the factory but temperature & humidity differences in transit & the different climate in their final destination has 'shrunk' the wood slightly resulting in fret sprout.
    AFAIC there is zero excuse for not properly setting up a guitar at these prices before they hit the shop floor, it's what decent stores used to do, for reasons best known to themselves  they seem to have stopped I'd hazard a guess most of their business is shipping out guitars straight from a warehouse that have never been taken out of the box.
    Yeah guitarguitar shipped a load of 2018 335s with bowed necks to forum members a few months back in a blowout sale. Needed a good turn and a half to get them straight. Didn't look like mine had been taken out of the box. Maybe some had been hanging on walls like that and so they hadn't sold? It's mad that they send them out like this, especially at the price
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I have a LP modern and it's amazing. Also have a new JR and its also fantastic. 

@Collings the fretboard was unconditioned on my JR, but that's an easy fix. It's only lemon oil. And the setup, well I don't think it's really fair to complain because the action is high as ultimately that's a personal preference. A lot of people will get their guitar set up in any case. It's shipped halfway across the world, you can't expect the set up to maintain even if it were perfect. 

I think you need to lower your expectations in that regard. 

Your correct I would not normally be too concerned the setup needed adjustment to preference however as stated the bridge offered little adjustment to lower it and the neck had no relief so maybe the neck set was wrong.

Again your correct that a little fingerboard conditioner would have improved the look of the fingerboard but you don't see these issues on many lower priced instruments so why can;t Gibson get it right.

I think the dealer should have sorted these issues before putting the guitar our for display