NBD: White Blonde 1954 Precision bass tribute/reinterpretation

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2285

This was a build by a user on from the UK bass guitar forum www.basschat.co.uk. He built it for himself is not a vendor.

It is based on a 1954 Precision model with the belly carve. It's not a replica as it has updated elements, but I think it really captures a classic look and style.

You typically see early P basses in sunburst and butterscotch blonde, but I think it looks terrific in white blonde.

Warmoth body (I think ash) and Mighty Mite neck with a Jazz-type profile where the nut width is 38mm not 42mm medium thick. 9.5 radius and medium frets I think. Full size open backed tuners, bone nut. Warmoth Bakelite type material scratch plate.

Neck has a vintage stain Tru-oil type finish to a light gloss/satin sheen. Body is a light gloss water based poly finish.

Seymour Duncan debadged single coil quarterpounder with CTS 250 pots, and a 0.047 cap.

High mass through body string bridge that can also top bridge string through.

Weight just over approx 8.25lbs it's perfectly balanced and feels light.

I might get a white guard for it too.. or a tort - or both for a look change once in a while.

Well balanced, light, resonant and has a classic big Precision thump and thunk, but can be delicate with a roll back of tone and volume. I don;t play bass much but really enjoy the odd session adn I record my own bass on tracks typically.

I picked this up a few miles away in person from a guy with loads of basses for £375 which is a total steal I think as it has at least £700 of parts in it! I couldn't imagine a better bass for the money and it is unique..
IMG_5094JPG

IMG_5060JPG

IMG_5062JPG

IMG_5065JPG
IMG_5071JPG IMG_5073JPG
IMG_5048JPG
IMG_5093JPG
IMG_5095JPG IMG_5098JPG
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    Very nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Excellent value for your money. 

Single ply white ‘guard on white blonde might be too much. Four ply faux tortoiseshell might be more tasteful. 

I’m not a fan of the Duncan Quarter Pound pickups. My preference would be for a noise-cancelling version of the ‘51 P pickup. Bridgehouse likes his bespoke version of the Oil City Overkill.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    Very nice looking. Great price, too. 

Normally I would be extolling the manifold virtues of Gotoh Resolites but if it balances nicely as is, you’re all set.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I've always preferred white blonde to butterscotch - but is that actually white blonde? It should show a lot more of the wood grain through it... it looks like plain off-white.

Whatever it is, it's very nice - and all the better for not being fake aged :).

Unlike Funkfingers I do like the Quarter-Pounders, but I would still replace it with the Oil City hum-cancelling one. I can't use a bass without hum cancellation live with the amount of fuzz I put on mine ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2285

I like Telecasters and P90 guitars so dealing with him is no big deal, I just use a noise gate. Getting on well with quarter pounder so far. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2285

ICBM said:
    I've always preferred white blonde to butterscotch - but is that actually white blonde? It should show a lot more of the wood grain through it... it looks like plain off-white.

Whatever it is, it's very nice - and all the better for not being fake aged :).

Unlike Funkfingers I do like the Quarter-Pounders, but I would still replace it with the Oil City hum-cancelling one. I can't use a bass without hum cancellation live with the amount of fuzz I put on mine ;).
    Creamy white.  Or whatever. It’s not trans blonde. Perhaps more like pale Olympic white in some lights. Vintage sort of white. I like it anyhow. 
  • dcgdcg Frets: 230
    All basses should look as good as this.  Like Leo's first guitar, he had it right with his first bass...and it changed music forever.  Small but important point...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom