Best guitar builders for pickup fitting in London/South East England

What's Hot
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't introduced myself in the appropriate thread, I'm pleased to meet you all! I play acoustic in a variety of styles, jazz, percussive, folk and some ventures into classical too. I'm based in London and gig regularly in the south-east.

I have a relatively new Lowden F25C that needs quite some TLC from the best luthier in the world. In addition to the usual setup, I'd like to fit a Highlander IP-2 pickup in there too; it sounds marvellous but apparently it's a total pain to install, especially on split-saddle instruments, more so than other piezos.

Please, suggest builders and repair shops in the area you had very good experiences with! I know plenty of people who would do a terrific job but they're all based in Bristol, Wales or Scotland... evidently the south-east prices guitar builders out like many other folks too. Atkin is the only name I can think of. Any other candidates? I'm not trying to cheap out on anything, I would really like a first-time-perfect job this time around.

Thanks very much to everyone!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Wish I could help, the only guys I know and would trust are at the wrong end of the country, all split saddle installations are a buggar due to the dreaded hot E/B and a drowned out G, snake pick ups even more so due to the threading through the channels. On the plus side they can be done and sound great when done right. I have a Highlander in my Sobell done by the man himself and a Headway split saddle by HJ Williams, which are both perfectly balanced. 
    Hope you get sorted with someone who understands the correct routing of the slot to get it right.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    Kenji Okumura is good and is an authorised Lowden technician. Not necessarily the quickest turnaround time but you can rely on him to do a good and thorough job. Based in Battersea.
  • I have used Julian at the Sevenoaks Guitar Centre. He’s excellent and has worked on all 4 of my Martins, an Ovation Adamas, made a new biscuit bridge for my bro in laws handmade boutique resonator uke and rescued a friend’s 40 year old round-backed mandolin. 

Hope you find a suitable person close by. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Well... the best man for the job is Ernie Mcmillen but he’s based over here. 

I’d suggest Montys.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Speak to Charlie Chandler at CCGX. If he can't do it, which I'd be surprised at, he may recommend someone
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thank you all! I'll be writing to them and see what they come up with. Someone had already recommended Kenji Okumura, but I'd forgotten! Good thing it's popped up again.