Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Witcher

What's Hot
Anyone else blown away by this series?

I played the games and from them read the books years back, but think this adaptation is utterly fantastic.  Was brutally hammered while watching it first time round before Crimbo, but on a second (soberish) playthrough am perhaps predictably getting so much more out of it. 

Anyone else willing to toss a coin to their Witcher?
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I thought it was great.  I knew nothing about the games an some people had commented about it having a confusing storyline but it worked well imo.   
    Looking forward to the next series.   
  • richhrichh Frets: 450
    I watched it with my son, who had read the books and played the games. I knew nothing about it, and must admit I found the timelines a bit confusing.  But all good fun!
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    John_P said:
    I thought it was great.  I knew nothing about the games an some people had commented about it having a confusing storyline but it worked well imo.   
    Looking forward to the next series.   

Certainly confusing when addled on Pouilly Fumé :D

The various timelines and flashbacks require a bit of getting used to, but I rather like the 'show, don't tell' attitude, and the way it trusts the audience's intelligence to figure things out as it all gradually converges.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    richh said:
    I watched it with my son, who had read the books and played the games. I knew nothing about it, and must admit I found the timelines a bit confusing.  But all good fun!

My guitar goal for this week is to learn the 'Toss a Coin' song :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26990
    edited January 2020
    Yep, loved it, though I do wish the visual style was fractionally better - it had a slight "Channel 4 sci-fi circa 1999" feel to it, somehow. I think it's a combination of lighting, lens choice, colour grading, frame rate(?) etc, but GOT usually felt like watching a movie, while this felt like watching TV. Content was generally excellent though.

I've had W3 on PS4 but never quite got into it. I might try harder now.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268

Watched it over two days a week ago. Like others I knew nothing of the game or books so found it a bit confusing at times, but still really enjoyed it. Thought Anya Chalotra was great in it and what a transformation she had half way through. I actually said to my wife that I thought it was a different actress playing Yennifer when she first transformed. Very pretty lady too.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Yes enjoyed it immensely, I also knew nothing about the book or game. Really liked the different timelines and how it was left to you to piece it together, the way they converged at the end was brilliant. And Yennifer, the transformation was incredible, superb acting. Anya Chalotra’s stunning. Cavill seems perfect for the role. Might give the books a read while we wait for season 2. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Found it well below GOT quality tbh.  Liked Heny Cavill's character.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    It’s on my list of things to watch so looking forward to it once I’ve cleared the backlog of series I’m in the middle of. 
  • Six episodes in and really enjoying it. 

Loved the Witcher 3 game. But haven't read any of the books yet. Just bought the first one on Audible and looking forward to starting it.

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Yep, watched it all over the last couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. Not sure if I want to play the games now as that will surely spoil the next season!
    All practice and no theory
  • We thought it was bloody brilliant. I particularly liked the "AHA!" moment when you realise what the timeline is.

My favourite part of it is that, unlike most TV these days, it treats you like a grown-up and expects the viewer to work out the rules of its world for themselves, rather than spoonfeeding.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    dafuzz said:
    Yep, watched it all over the last couple of weeks and really enjoyed it. Not sure if I want to play the games now as that will surely spoil the next season!

Unlikely: the game follows its own stories after the novels end, and the tv show seems more or less pretty true to the books.  You'd learn a lot more about the politics of the stories and witchers and stuff from playing the game, but it's unlikely to reveal much if anything of the stories.  Plus, for someone who plays v few of these things, it is about the best video game I've come across.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Hat tip to my Facebook chum Jason Read...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched it over 3 days. Not sure myself.Acting was a bit off  Tits for the sake of tits rather than being part of the plot. Was trying to be both an adult series but appeal to teenage gamers at the same time. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670
    Have you after 15 mins, the guys voice was annoying me 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 844
    It's ok. Reminds me a bit of Xena: Warrior Princess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Didn’t take long for the backlash to start! 
  • I was surprised I liked it at all, as really not my thing, but I did. It somehow reminded me of a spaghetti western. I had no idea about the books, or games. And didn't know the main actor was so famous, but he was very good.
    Also liked that some of the women had depth & were good actors too- Yennifer, Queen Lioness (sorry can't remember all the names), Yennifer's teacher (who I think is actually Swedish, might be wrong).
    The timeline was way too complicated for me, but many things are & I'd rather that than have things spelt out by cramming an explanation into some clunky dialogue. In fact the dialogue was very good & managed to steer between being over modern & mystical guff.
    Afraid I really didn't like the songs & just skipped them, the "enchanted" orgy scene was cringe worthy (nothing like the real enchanted orgies I've attended).

I reckon I'd watch another series.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1286
    Yep, loved it, though I do wish the visual style was fractionally better - it had a slight "Channel 4 sci-fi circa 1999" feel to it, somehow. 
    Well, you've not seen yet the first Witcher series shot in Poland in 2001 then ;)

PS. Poles had a nicer Yennefer though.