SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS:FT:- Something very different; Handmade by Ryan Martin in USA; possibly only one in UK

What's Hot
gibbygibby Frets: 50
edited February 2020 in Guitars £
Hi All, Another of the herd up for sale; 1st one for 2020. Probably not a familiar guitar to many of you on here (or to me initially), this is a Becker Retro USA, circa 2008. Made by luthier Ryan Martin when he was in partnership with Dan Becker.These are now made by Ryan, under his own Company, Magic Wand Guitars in Maine,USA.

Lots of youtube videos under RYAN MARTIAN (as in "alien from Mars") showing Ryan in his workshop

Specs:-
          - Heavily Contoured/Slim mahogany body in Kiwi Green/Brown
          - Flame Maple pick-guard and rear plates
          - Slim taper Mahogany bolt-on “C”neck, with Flamed Maple fret-board,
         - Scale Length 25'
          - 16 inch radius fingerboard
          - 22 Jumbo stainless steel frets.
          - Gotoh machine heads.
         - 2 Vol x 2 tone
         - Locking Tailpiece
         - Graphite Saddles
          - zero fret  @ 43.5mm width
          - bone nut.

Pickups - Lindy Fralin Hot Humbuckers, coil tapped (separate switches),
         - 3-way toggle pickup selector switch.
          - Kill-switch.

Other - Original Fitted Hard-case (similar to PRS)

Totally hand-made using the best materials; immense craftsmanship.

This is an exceptional sounding and playing guitar. Weighing in at 7.7lbs with a “Thin” tapered body,but has good “weight and feel” to it. Acoustically it is very resonant, “brangy” and tight. Does a good impression of a “warm” strat/telcaster in single coil mode and a “Les Paul” in humbucker mode, but with more clarity;less bottom/mids. For me, this guitar is best suited to a valve amp cranked to “just above clean” for clear classic 60's/70's overdrive tone, with acres of definition and sustain.

I'm only selling this guitar as it is the last of the “thin necks” in my collection and it does give me a twinge in the wrist if I play it too often, sadly . It has been gigged, has a few minor blemishes and hairline "button marks" on the back, and some wear on the fingerboard(pics) but that's what happens when you play a guitar and don't keep it in a case under your bed! REAL Light relicing !! I've tried to show most marks in the photos, but the surface finish is quite difficult to photograph and most are pretty minor. The only obvious mark, is a very small chip in the finish on the rear lower bout. Frets are in excellent condition. Even with the marks +wear, I'd rate this guitar 9/10 condition.

If you're after something unique and special, hand-built to amazing quality with a thin "C" neck, then this is it!
(a semi-pro mate of mine described the neck as feeling like a comfortable Ibanez Wizard, but not as flat)

Restrung with Daddario 10-46, should anyone want to come try it out, which I recommend!...(Caerphilly area;S.Wales)

Starting price on a new one of these is $2999 as specified on the current Magic Wand Website(and $3200 back in the Dan Becker days). I'm asking @£1600(Trade)..or best sensible cash offer. Would prefer cash sale, but would consider a trade for something with bigger necks/jumbo frets (Gibson LP Junior etc) or something else handmade/different of similar value + quality (eg K-LIne ,Feline  etc)...try me

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gibbygibby Frets: 50
    case pics

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, that's way cool! Never heard of these before. It's kinda like a Dali-esque interpretation of an EBMM Albert Lee!

GLWTS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yep, it is a bit different! ;)..and it's does have secondary functions as Wall Art or as a "tactile sculpture"   <3
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    Awesome looking guitar
    ..and it feels good <3
    "Feelwise" when playing, is like a thinned down strat or Jazzmaster, but with much better balance and proportions, without the chunky neck joint. Rings like a bell too..worth a strum!!!!
    If anyone else has one of these, let me know ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :)
    Just purchased a nice Jazz guitar, so Jazzer TRADE option removed from list...still open for Tele Style with bigger neck/ larger frets (K-Line etc etc,) or something LP Jr (Feline,Gibson etc etc)...no skinny neck or small frets, please! Thanx
    This guitar is for someone wanting to be different, loves high quality craftsmanship, great tone and to be the center of attention..without having a crippled lower back ;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Not my cup of tea shape-wise, but it is certainly interesting
    Interesting.. it certainly is ;)
    I know you want it ;)
    It's time again :)
    Still up for trade at £1600..but £1350 ONO cash...if it doesn't go this month then I'll be contacting the luthier in USA and see about having a chunkier neck made for it (depending on cost of course)..then it will be mine FOREVER :3
    Its that time again..Bumpy Wumpy!
    ;) go on..be different =)
    Unique bit of wood :)