Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Riff City now chimes in on the Rob Chapman Video

What's Hot
Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
It would seem Riff City is politely saying that Chappers has somewhat thrown them under the Black Tour Bus with his name on it they got him for his US Tour. LOL. 

Roll on NAMM and we can get some real guitar news

https://riffcityguitar.com/rob-chapman-exposed-our-side-article-mp/4/

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Ive read that link about 5 times and I still dont understand what its saying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetfire said:
    Ive read that link about 5 times and I still dont understand what its saying
    Try clicking "Next" :)

This is actually the part of the video that I thought was tremendously ill-advised for Rob to do. He could've addressed it in a number of ways, but making out like a mutually-beneficial business enterprise was a favour and something nobody else would do...poor form, and it set up exactly this kind of response from people who have nothing left to lose. And, of course, the problem is that while KDH was spinning and twisting stuff to make the facts tell the story he wanted, Rob's pretty much done the same thing with the Riff City story.

It's quite sad, really, but at least we know that "people who want to be Right On The Internet at all costs" applies to big creators as well as us little folk arguing on a little corner of it. Rob should've deleted the video when KDH deleted his...and now he's got no choice but to either accept that he looks like The Bad Guy in relation to Riff City's response, or be an Even Worse Guy and respond to it himself. 
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    edited January 2020
    I think they are just clarifying their position as Rob made some comments that they feel do not reflect how the relationship ended how he could have charged them for his presence to promote his own products which sort of seemed weird when he said it. 

I think having watched all the videos and responses mostly as have been on two-week work shutdown. In all of this, I just think with all things social media these days we are just watching a YouTube guitar celeb growing up in public, where every decision you make is debated in the forum of your success. As with all of us who work for ourselves, I am sure Rob has done and said things that with the benefit of age or hindsight he may have wished to do differently that's life but always hard to do if you lead a public life. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4114
    I think it's basically saying that Rob promotes Rob.  His ego is so big that no one else fits in the room. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • No idea what this is about
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    What’s this about?

A guitar company signed a bigger distribution deal with a nationwide chain after 5 years with a small store?

is that it?

sounds like business decision to me.  Is Rift City feel like they were “betrayed”? I mean was any contracts broken?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26681
    edited January 2020
    What’s this about?

A guitar company signed a bigger distribution deal with a nationwide chain after 5 years with a small store?

is that it?

sounds like business decision to me.  Is Rift City feel like they were “betrayed”? I mean was any contracts broken?
    It feels like you didn't click "Next" either. The article is in 13 parts.

It's nothing to do with the business relationship; it's the way Rob characterised his end of it almost as though he was doing them a favour.

Click here to go from the beginning:

https://riffcityguitar.com/rob-chapman-exposed-our-side-article-mp/
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Really well written response from Riff City Guitars. I’ve met Rob a few times and he’s always seemed like an alright guy. 

However the way the article reads I wouldn’t doubt anything they are saying as an unfair assessment of Rob or the situation. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16298
    What’s this about?

is that it?

Riff City is going out of business, they seem fine with Chapman guitars having moved to Guitar Centre and that’s a natural evolution of that part of the business. However, Rob has been saying he did them favours,etc, painting a picture of their relationship that they say isn’t true. So as part of the closing down process they are using the opportunity to ... I read the article and feel I must have had something better to do for ten minutes but apparently not. Anyway, Riff City closing, Rob Chapman has big mouth, some other people said in their videos he is a bit of a twonk which is to some extent true and to some extent not true. Storm, tea cup,etc. Time ladies and gentlemen please, we’ve all got work in the morning. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10265
    The plot, it thickens. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    edited January 2020
    What’s this about?

is that it?

It feels like you didn't click "Next" either. The article is in 13 parts.

It's nothing to do with the business relationship; it's the way Rob characterised his end of it almost as though he was doing them a favour.

Click here to go from the beginning:

https://riffcityguitar.com/rob-chapman-exposed-our-side-article-mp/
    I see.  It's another episode of people doing their dirty laundry in public.

I am out, don't care about that.  Shame about the shop closing and jobs lost but people bickering who said what? Meh, its like a school playground slander back and forth.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    No idea what this is about
    It's about a sort of heavy metal James Corden and his ego. 
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    edited January 2020
    I feel the polite Riff City Guitar reply shows up Chappers as his own biggest fan and not far of being narcissistic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • I still don't really understand what's happened. And I don't think it's particularly fair to wade in and join the rather sad name calling and cloud shouting when all the information that's been put out there is what a specific set of people want you to believe.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Wonder how long before this one gets locked or moved :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    edited January 2020
    I have to say the biggest thing to come out of all of this is how sad it is Riff City are no longer in business because they seem to have acted with absolute integrity from the first moment to the last and genuinely seem to be the type of people we need in MI retail. 

Part of me finds it funny that people are using the term 'self-promoting' as a pejorative when everything Rob Chapman has achieved and carved out for himself as a career is off the back of self-promoting.

I don't think Riff City's response paints RC in a terrible light or anything. It's clear Rob was playing up the idea that he did his bit and for the sake of an argument that seems to have landed in his lap made it seem more altruistic than perhaps it was. Riff City just pointed out the nature of the business is (and should be) a bit more symbiotic than Rob's video suggested.  

I don't think these two viewpoints are diametrically opposed, but rather a nudging of the base facts of what happened through their respective lenses. 

Summary: Nothing has happened nobody is any righter or wronger than they were last week. 

EDIT: God I'm starting to come off like a fan of his, which I'm really not. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I think it's basically saying that Rob promotes Rob.  His ego is so big that no one else fits in the room. 

This is pretty much every guitarist I've ever known...

Case in point: I met up with a guy I haven't seen for a couple of years over Xmas, for 'a jam'. What actually happened was I got to play a couple of riffs while he soloed (using various pedals) for about 3 hours :anguished: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

3reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    edited January 2020
    I think we're all fine with the actual self promoting (watch the fantastic Johnny Hiland on youtube when he has a new pedal etc) and would expect any artist or CEO to forward their ideas & products, however when that involves other people who didn't ask to be involved and then perceived to have tried to be their savour to the end is somewhat distasteful. This eludes to others failure and maybe passive-aggressive behaviour.
    This lastest insight from Riff sullies Robs character more than that first deliberately provocative effort by KDH.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    Who?

;) 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    FFS the Chapper threads seem to never die..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom