Anyone tried DR Neon strings?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    I tried the Swing Bass at band practice last night - I *hated* them for the first hour. Like playing a set of round files, and the sound was both scratchy and unbalanced, the low strings seeming a lot louder than the high ones. I thought this might be to do with the extra magnetic effect of the steel (rather than nickel), which would make the string signal more dependent on the total mass rather than the core. Oddly, towards the end of the practice they started to sound a bit better for balance as well as the scratchiness... but they still feel awful. They also shredded my pick :angry:.

I think I'll stick with them for the gig on Friday, but unless they rapidly improve a lot - and don't then go immediately dead - I Do Not Like These Much At All.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24384
    ICBM said:
    I tried the Swing Bass at band practice last night - I *hated* them for the first hour. Like playing a set of round files, and the sound was both scratchy and unbalanced, the low strings seeming a lot louder than the high ones. I thought this might be to do with the extra magnetic effect of the steel (rather than nickel), which would make the string signal more dependent on the total mass rather than the core. Oddly, towards the end of the practice they started to sound a bit better for balance as well as the scratchiness... but they still feel awful. They also shredded my pick :angry:.

I think I'll stick with them for the gig on Friday, but unless they rapidly improve a lot - and don't then go immediately dead - I Do Not Like These Much At All.
    If only someone had said something...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    fretmeister said:

If only someone had said something...
    :)

Oh I know... but they were there when I was in the shop and they were cheap, and how bad could they be?

Not quite bad enough to take them off again before the gig and put the old ones back on, but I did think about it. Although that might be partly because I'm worried that re-fitted strings sometimes break where you've had to straighten them out to get them through the string holes ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    I've never liked any Rotosound strings I've tried; the guitar strings sound dead right out of the packet and the bass strings sound OK but feel horrible (even the flatwounds which feel as rough as most manufacturers' roundwounds.)
  • Singer tried them, the bonkes colours wear off where you pick and where the string contacts the frets. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PaulWarningPaulWarning Frets: 916
    edited January 2020
    Singer tried them, the bonkes colours wear off where you pick and where the string contacts the frets. 
    I use them, Neon Greens, very punk rock, yes the coating wears off after a while where I hit them with a pick and they do wear where the string comes into contact with the fret but it doesn't affect the sound, I change them about every 6 months, about 25 two hour gigs.
    Would I use them if it wasn't for the colour? probably not
    pic below, (the lighting helped!

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    You need one of the older Trace Elliots with the ultraviolet panel lighting .

• ICBM said:
    You need one of the older Trace Elliots with the ultraviolet panel lighting .
    they weigh too much  =), that ones only 13Kg
    For sale: one set of Rotosound Swing Bass 45-105, cut for Rickenbacker 4001 tuner positions. Used twice, good condition.

Free: one Big Stubby pick, missing about 10% of the tip.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom