Analogue Poly Module.... Which. Hum

So I feel the need to add an analogue poly to my set up.  This wont be for live (probably) as Im out of space on my stand (I could maybe free enough by moving my mixer and organ module to a side stand).

I want Poly, but 4/8/12/16 are all viable.

I currently have a Roland RD2000, hammer action, for my pianos/eps,clavs etc.  It does some nice strings/pads - generic PCM based stuff to.

I also have an FA07.  Primarily for PCM based sounds (much more editable than the RDs), but the VA engine is pretty good (especially for Roland type sounds - Junos, Jupiter's etc).  Its a little fiddly to program as its menu based (simple enough if you know what you want and how to do it - less so if you want to twist things and see what happens).  It has a single arpegiator, which can be a user programmed pattern - but its a pain to program (you have to sequence something, then copy the sequence into the arp).

I also have a Peak.  So digital oscolators and an analogue filter.  Some FM capability as well - though its basic.  Its very nice, I use it a lot.  The arp is only basic patterns (not user programmable).

so - Im after a synth in module form, that will give me fully analogue (oscillators and filter) - that has a user programmable arp thats easy to use. 

I always wanted a DSi Prophet Rev 2 - but I cant really justify that much.  Im also really loving the Korg Wavestate (I always wanted a wavestation back in the day) BUT its not really what I need at present - and my band is an 80s band but the Wave was a 90s synth.

Currently looking at the Deep Mind 12 Desktop - and the Monologue SDS.   Both have plus and minus points.  The DM has more polyphony and FX, the Korg more oscillators and user "multi engine" - and its open to 3rd party plugins (in the multi engine - for FX as well as waveforms).

Which of these two - or indeed any other options similarly priced would complement my current setup most, and provide the functionality Im after. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh - both the Wavestate and Minilogue have midi in and out, but no thu.   Anyone know if the out is pass through, or can be configured as out or thu?   

If not it will have to go at the end of the midi chain - but its not ideal (ie no further expansion....) 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    edited January 2020
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Eh.

The RD offers splits and layers - with control for internal or external sounds in each zone..  The FA transmits midi on the channel relative to the part number, and each part can be assigned to a keyboard range - so yes.   I do exactly yhat with the peak and EXP.

Not sure where I asked anything relative to that aspect though so Im a little confused as to your comment, while any comment is welcome.

Its more asking which analogue synth -  the DM12 or monologue XD would better complement my current offerings, 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    If you can't justify the Prophet Rev 2 then virtually everything else other than the Deep Mind and the Korg Prologue will be more money.

Have you considered the Prologue?
    Keyboard only though.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    I reckon the minilogue XD would give you more contrast to what you already have.

As the DM is roland-influenced, you already have a certain amount of that flavour covered in Roland va, and your peak is versatile.

I think modulating the FX is the main draw of the DM beyond its appeal as a cheap analogue poly.

If it's just about home use and programmable arp, I'd have thought you could probably be creative with a daw and what you already have, but buying stuff is obviously more fun.

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited January 2020
    I may work it into the live set-up.  As I say Im playing in an 80s band, so it could come in handy - BUT Im already pretty loaded onstage.  Finding space for another wouldnt be easy.  I could add a side stand for my mixer and that might free up enough for the XD.

As I say, the FA does  have a programmable arp but its not step - and you need to record the phrase in the sequencer then export it to the arp pattern library.

I use Studio One - for for recording I can cover the arp functions already yes.   There is quite a lot on the XD that I do like the sound of though.... its very tempting.

Looking at my top tier, I could keep the peak and the zoom FX and add the Minilogue XD.  Id hgave to find a new home for the legend EXP module (which I need) and the mixer (which I could place out or reach once levels are set).    The stand I use does have side arms that are available (thought there over £100 each) which are build for tablets and small laptops.  Not sure if they would take the weight of a mixer/module.  Ill ask them.     If they do I could add one each side - and have the mixer and organ module of those.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 841
    edited January 2020
    octatonic said:
    If you can't justify the Prophet Rev 2 then virtually everything else other than the Deep Mind and the Korg Prologue will be more money.

Have you considered the Prologue?
    Keyboard only though.
    Yey - thats the problem with the prologue.  If it came in a module like the Miniloge id be seriously interested - price dependant.  The Minilogue XD doesnt seem to be much less of a synth though - with the exception that its only 4 voice rather than the 8 or 16 of the prologue, and the keys obviously as the Mini is 3 octave where are the prologues are 4 and 5 for the 8 and 16 voice respectivly.

I do see the size of the XD compared to the XD module is the same bar the depth, so I could actually get the keys one - its the width Id struggle with a keyboard model of the DM.   Ive seen a new XD with keyboard at stupid price (£430 I think) which seems a steel.