Bosch dishwasher fault

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• randellarandella Frets: 4174
    I'd try to fix it but the nature of the beast is that I'd have to be on the floor cricking my neck, which is alreadyd injured, so I am reluctant to try it myself for this one
    I'm with you on this one.  An hour of titting about trying to diagnose a strange glitch with our (Bosch, natch) washing machine the other day had me reaching for the Ibuprofen.

Our washer is free-standing in a corner of the utility room; if it had been slotted in under the kitchen countertop I don't think I'd have even bothered with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    FarleyUK said:
    our 5.5 year old dishwasher has failed
    there is a leak detector in the base, which raises a polystyrene disc against a microswitch
    In our one, it seems to leak about 2 desert spoons full of water over several washes, then stops working and shows "Error code E:15)

if you tip it up, a tiny bit of water runs out, then it works again for 2-3 days

The repair man sais it's probably the main pump, and not economical to repair. Mind you, I think his criteria was "is it a leaky pipe I can see or not".

Should I just scrap it, or try another approach?
    We had this issue with ours as well. I found that if you turned off the mains and left it for a while, it would work again; however, in the end we called BOSCH and they sent an engineer.

It took 3 visits to fix, and they replaced about 4 parts, but only cost us £100 in the end - they gave several parts and installation fees for free, which was decent of them. Dishwasher is around 6 years old.

Did you speak to BOSCH directly?
    good idea, will try
    OK, Bosch want £100 call out fee, plus parts
    I'm thinking that could end up as £230 quite easily
    Probably better to buy a new one??

how come they only charged you around £100?
    what parts were needed?

Sorry mate, forgot to reply!

They came out to check it originally, and thought it was a part in the underneath area (around that polystyrene disc). However, they also found that the sump hadn't been fitted correctly, and they couldn't remove it to replace the part.... so they had to order a new sump area and the other part.

They then came back with the parts, installed them, and it didn't fix the issue - the engineer then saw it was to do with the seal around the bottom. They ordered that part and arranged another visit.

Came back and fitted the seal, and it's been fine since.

They installed the sump, first part and the seal as acts of good-will mostly, although having checked with the Mrs she was charged £150 in the end. Still not bad for a 6 year old machine though (the dishwasher, not her).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11903
    FarleyUK said:
    FarleyUK said:
    there is a leak detector in the base, which raises a polystyrene disc against a microswitch
    In our one, it seems to leak about 2 desert spoons full of water over several washes, then stops working and shows "Error code E:15)

if you tip it up, a tiny bit of water runs out, then it works again for 2-3 days

The repair man sais it's probably the main pump, and not economical to repair. Mind you, I think his criteria was "is it a leaky pipe I can see or not".

We had this issue with ours as well. I found that if you turned off the mains and left it for a while, it would work again; however, in the end we called BOSCH and they sent an engineer.

It took 3 visits to fix, and they replaced about 4 parts, but only cost us £100 in the end - they gave several parts and installation fees for free, which was decent of them. Dishwasher is around 6 years old.

Did you speak to BOSCH directly?
    good idea, will try

what parts were needed?

Sorry mate, forgot to reply!

They came out to check it originally, and thought it was a part in the underneath area (around that polystyrene disc). However, they also found that the sump hadn't been fitted correctly, and they couldn't remove it to replace the part.... so they had to order a new sump area and the other part.

They then came back with the parts, installed them, and it didn't fix the issue - the engineer then saw it was to do with the seal around the bottom. They ordered that part and arranged another visit.

Came back and fitted the seal, and it's been fine since.

They installed the sump, first part and the seal as acts of good-will mostly, although having checked with the Mrs she was charged £150 in the end. Still not bad for a 6 year old machine though (the dishwasher, not her).
    I think we will probably try the engineer
    a new one that is as good would be £550 + £100 to £150 for a 5 year warranty
    Latest update
    we had the Bosch Engineer round, £100 fee
    He could not reproduce the fault, which was weird, since for the preceding 4 days we'd given up using it since it was not even completing a cycle before going into fault mode (and when I tipped it up, much more water was coming out).
    He said call him back for free if it happens again.
    We've been thrashing it for 2 days, and so far all is well

My current theories are:
    1. something he did accidentally solved the problem (i.e. part of his diagnostics nudged or tightened something)
    2. The first time it happened was because I'd added too much rinse aid, which overflowed and caused the error on Christmas Eve, but then perhaps the tipping it over to drain it was causing water to pour out from the main internal cavity into some part of the unit, that was trickling down later to trigger the detector. I say this because I asked my Mrs if he mopped up the existing spill in the bottom tray before his tests, and she said yes. If true, this would mean a vicious circle where every time I leaned the dishwasher over, I was causing the next, delayed error  
    ahh, it's thrown the error again now, let's call out Bosch again
    went through 2 more visits, he tried replacing a a gasket

in the end he declared it not repairable, just because the fault could not be observed
    They gave us a £50 Bosch voucher, so I bought a new super silent one. It is so quiet it's amazing

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

We're on our third Bosch dishwasher in 30 years and I live in a hard water area. I doubt it's failed. It might just need an internal clean - try some vinegar and a hot wash to remove grease and grime build up. Or buy some pro cleaner. My wife does this regularly and got the tip from a Bosch guy. Seems to keep everything tip top with no odours.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Fretwired said:

We're on our third Bosch dishwasher in 30 years and I live in a hard water area. I doubt it's failed. It might just need an internal clean - try some vinegar and a hot wash to remove grease and grime build up. Or buy some pro cleaner. My wife does this regularly and got the tip from a Bosch guy. Seems to keep everything tip top with no odours.
    we scrapped it in the end. If I had a holiday home I'd move it to there, but not much use having a second, leaky one
    it was clean inside btw, Bosch Engineer was happy with that
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader

what parts were needed?

A couple of years ago we paid the £100 fee, the engineer wrote off the (out of warranty) machine and Bosch sent a brand new one for no extra charge.

what parts were needed?

A couple of years ago we paid the £100 fee, the engineer wrote off the (out of warranty) machine and Bosch sent a brand new one for no extra charge.
    we weren't so lucky!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    We’ve been washing up since our Bosch DW went kaput about a year ago. 

I think we’ve been through 3 Bosch models in around ten years. 

Just ordered a new Siemens hoping it will last better. If not, it has a 5 year warranty so it’s not our problem anymore. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• A £150 repair on a good quality machine (a super silent one should be one of the better made ones) will likely give you a few mores years good use - especially if you run it on a cleaning cycle every so often and ensure you soften water (if you have hard water like me) when using.

My parents were going to replace a laundry washing machine. I took a look and it was basically just limescale damage - I ran a couple of cycles, one hot, one not, with a descaling solution and it's given it a new lease of life. Total cost was about £20 including electricity and water.

I'm definitely in the "get a quality machine that's energy efficient and look after it" camp. After a repair, if it lasts 3 years you've broken even with a new machine+warranty, if 5 years you've won the game.