Is my neck wood Mahogany ?

Hi folks.   I am part way through my first build - a DC junior copy 

I am using sapele for the body and picked up what I thought was quartersawn old mahogany which came from an old staircase handrail. 

It looks like the mahogany on some of my other guitars ( Gibson, PRS ) but having fabricated the neck it feels super light and comparing it to the sapele neck I am building at the same time it’s made me wonder whether it’s really mahogany or something else. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Oops - I was part way through posting trying to link to pics on OneDrive.  I will see if I can get good pics to get an opinion 
    cheers
    Pete 
  • Mahogany can be very lightweight in my experience 
  • * forgot to add.... nice looking guitar neck!! I’m also embarking on my first build too
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Yes - looks like mahogany to me.   And yes, mahogany can be quite lightweight compared with some other woods.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    I got some old mahogany that was lightweight, it was lovely, just wish I could get it like that now, sepele is generally heavier to start with so might alter your perspective

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Thanks Guys,  Its certainly strong - I "tried" to break the scarf joint by putting a lot of my weight on it - and the wood flexed but sprang back just fine.  At least I know the scarf joint is good too. 
    I know where there is more of this stuff so I am off to pick some more up later to use for other necks while I can get it. It looks pretty old and apparently came out of an old library somewhere. 

Yes Danielsguitars - the sapele is a lot denser.  Wish I had some lighter Mahogany for some bodies, but hey,  this is only early days for me and I need to learn a lot. 

I have a load of photos of my build I am trying to organise then I will put up a build thread.  Only half way through my junior and already planning a Tele next.  Its addictive. 
    Cheers
    Pete