New Gibson Slash Collection...

What's Hot
So Gibson have just announced a Slash collection, 4 new USA LPs and 2 signature acoustics!

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2020-gibson-announces-new-slash-les-pauls-and-j-45-acoustic-signatures

I've been waiting for a non-Custom Shop Slash for a while but wondered what finishes they'd use, I personally love the November burst! I like the fact that the skull logo is on the back of the headstock and it is less obviously a signature model too. Although I've never heard of the 'Slashbucker'...?

Thoughts on these? £2599 for a Les Paul with a few upgrades? 

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Price isn't outrageous if you think that the standards were £2400ish up until recently but I agree the pickup choice is weird when he's so well known for using Seymour Duncans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 517
    edited January 2020
    I think the price is fair. They are 50s standards with a few upgrades. You're looking at about £300-400 just the Slash name though, although the Slash name is almost like Apple in the sense that it will retain its value more.

What I'm trying to find out is if these are limited edition or if these are now part of the core range like the PRS Tremonti is? (Basically do I have to buy now or can I wait!?)

It also looks like Slash is planning on using these with GnR on the road too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27496
    I for one am glad we **finally**  have an opportunity to play Slash's version of his favourite Les Pauls he's playing for the next 3 months on tour before going back to his old favourite ones and these are never seen again. I'm sure this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and one not to be missed. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • zedhexzedhex Frets: 191
    Yawn - one more celeb endorsement from a massively overrated player. Slash always struck me as a competent working guitar player, but he's never done anything really special. I reckon there must be at least 30 people on this board who can play just as well as him. This is just a marketing exercise from Gibson, nothing more.
    8reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5636
    zedhex said:
    Yawn - one more celeb endorsement from a massively overrated player. Slash always struck me as a competent working guitar player, but he's never done anything really special. I reckon there must be at least 30 people on this board who can play just as well as him. This is just a marketing exercise from Gibson, nothing more.
    He's certainly over-exposed but to suggest that he's merely a competent player who's never done anything special is wide of the mark. There may be 30 players on this board who are as technically proficient, but if you delve into those guitar lines on Appetite, the expressiveness and attitude of his playing explain why he's still so relevant 30+ years later.

On the subject of the guitars, meh...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    edited January 2020
    They look nice enough but too much of a premium for me over the standard 50's/60's.  

I'm no slash expert but didn't he own one or two les paul's from the late 80's?  Didn't one go missing and he was gutted about it.  You could easily get a late 80's Les Paul for much cheaper.  Surely that's more Gibson "authentic".

Anyway, I like Slash and don't think he is overrated at all.  He was a key cog in a huge band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Brize said:
    zedhex said:
    He's certainly over-exposed but to suggest that he's merely a competent player who's never done anything special is wide of the mark. There may be 30 players on this board who are as technically proficient, but if you delve into those guitar lines on Appetite, the expressiveness and attitude of his playing explain why he's still so relevant 30+ years later.

On the subject of the guitars, meh...

Not to mention all the session work he's done...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28350
    Look pretty good, but I wouldn't buy one.
  • Can’t believe Gibson are still pushing even more Slash sig models. 

A premium price for the usual poor quality ‘standard USA model’ albeit in one off finishes 
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 919
    edited January 2020
    Gerz6558 said:
    They look nice enough but too much of a premium for me over the standard 50's/60's.  

I'm no slash expert but didn't he own one or two les paul's from the late 80's?  Didn't one go missing and he was gutted about it.  You could easily get a late 80's Les Paul for much cheaper.  Surely that's more Gibson "authentic".

Anyway, I like Slash and don't think he is overrated at all.  He was a key cog in a huge band.
    His main Appetite guitar wasn't even a Gibson but a copy.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Christ you even get 4 free picks.....what a bargain
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 778
    His main Appetite guitar wasn't even a Gibson but a copy.
    I do remember reading about that ages ago.  Here is the 80's Les Paul I was referring to, which seemed to go missing and he was wanting it back: https://www.slashonline.com/help-slash-find-an-old-friend/
  • The J-45's could be the pick of the bunch, not many J-45's with a full neck and 16" fretboard radius.
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    zedhex said:
    I honestly doubt anyone good enough to play as well as him would call him overrated - whether they enjoyed his music or not. Try learning a couple of his more difficult licks and you'll understand just how interesting a lot of those "widdly bits" really are. To call him a "competent, working guitar player" is honestly laughable. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4150
    zedhex said:
    Hear hear. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3413
    Huh? I thought he played an Epi Firebird these days....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4939
    edited January 2020
    Wow, the usual trite comments from people who have done the sum of fuck all in their own musical lives, passing judgement on those who are written into the folklore of rock music. You must be right legends in your own lunchtime I'll bet, I'm sure Slash wishes he was as cool as you.

Pass judgement on the guitars all you want, it's a crass marketing exercise full stop we all know that. Hell, say you don't like his playing, but you're being massively disingenuous suggesting he's just a competent working player. Slash's, tone, feel, attitude and the emotion he works into a song is superb (Estranged is an example of this), he is also very much a player for the song without extended shred for the sake of it. There are some amazing players on here, can't recall anyone selling 30 million of their debut album though?

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1545
    Whether a marketing exercise or not, those are some rather lovely colours. Not *too* much more expensive than a standard, erm, Standard. 
    I shall look forward with optimism.

Ada
  • Boromedic said:
    Wow, the usual trite comments from people who have done the sum of fuck all in their own musical lives, passing judgement on those who are written into the folklore of rock music. You must be right legends in your own lunchtime I'll bet, I'm sure Slash wishes he was as cool as you.

Pass judgement on the guitars all you want, it's a crass marketing exercise full stop we all know that. Hell, say you don't like his playing, but you're being massively disingenuous suggesting he's just a competent working player. Slash's, tone, feel, attitude and the emotion he works into a song is superb (Estranged is an example of this), he is also very much a player for the song without extended shred for the sake of it. There are some amazing players on here, can't recall anyone selling 30 million of their debut album though?
    If I could wis, lol and wow you in one go I would. Well said. UTB!

Put it this way haters, lets say its not a Slash guitar, if you don't like Slash then lets pretend its a signature of a guitarist you do love? Bonamassa no doubt. So you've got a guitar thats an upgraded version of a standard stock guitar for £600 more (which works out as less if you take into account the actual upgrades). So you're basically paying a few hundred quid for a signature guitar for your favourite player, whoever that might be, and it is unique because it has their neck carve and additions and finish (he's been gigging the red one for a few years, albeit in Custom Shop form). Would you feel the same? I don't personally think a markup of a few hundred for a signature model is that bad given that it will hold its value better than a standard. Yes you're paying for a name, but so would the theoretical next owner of it.

For me this is the guitar is what I have been waiting for. I have wanted a signature Slash for ages but want a finish I associate with classic Slash which I thought would never happen again as we've already had the AFD and the VOS '87 Illusion guitar and the goldtop. 2 of these finishes are colours I associate with classic slash, the Appetite one and the November burst one. And then there are 2 modern Slash finishes if you're that way inclined. I think they're great. I do wonder how they'll affect the used market of the existing models though!

I'm also trying to work out if these are limited or if they are permanent. There is no mention of limited edition.

As for the Slash hating, go see him live with Myles Kennedy and although you may not like it you'll be able to respect what he does. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4238
    edited January 2020
    As lead guitarist of one of the worlds three greatest rock n roll bands he is immensely relevant to warrant such attention. My fave guitars of his are the joe perry one, the Derrig  and the appetite tour plain tops