New Gibson Slash Collection...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I wanted to be Slash in my teens. No1 guitar hero by a long way and his work on the UYI albums as well as Appetite is just sublime imho.
    A decent range of guitars
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Kalimna said:
    I quite understand the impact of listening to music that has been 'overplayed',. However, one of my favourite pieces of guitar music remains the 'solo' from the UYI Live  where Slash and Gilby play off each other between Wild Horses and Patience. Not technically challenging, but with more 'feel' than most players manage in a lifetime.

Love Gilby , great player
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    Big Slash fan here too.. One of the reasons I got in to playing in the first place...

I wouldn't buy one of those guitars, just too expensive but I did get a Slash amp  :) And my Classic is Slash enough for me  :+1:

https://i.imgur.com/f02wkiR.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10894
    Oh, sweet child of lime

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27224
    Despite my initial sarcasm, I completely understand why Slash keeps getting signature models; they clearly still sell. He's not a super technical Paul Gilbert type and he maybe doesn't quite have the feel of a Gilmour or whatever, and I don't think he's done anything particularly noteworthy since 1988, but he was responsible for Appetite for Destruction which is one of the most important rock albums of all time, and that's enough for me.  
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    ****total disinterest****

However...

Apart from that fact that I really couldn’t give a shit if Slash, Bonamassa and their ilk suddenly ceased to exist, just two things, IMHO:

*Signature guitars - I just don’t get the psychology of it. Never have, never will. For that matter, rock-star-owned “famous” guitars don’t do it either. But anyway...

*Signature guitars - obviously, many people do - whatever butters their parsnips. C’est la vie. However, what does piss me off is the OTT, cynical and relentless marketing which accompanies them (and other associated merchandise). How many models at how many price points? Etc, etc...

I’ll get me coat.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited January 2020
    Kalimna said:
    Good to see support for Slash here. He's my guitar hero.
    Indeed, same here. Back in '91 he was the main reason I picked up a guitar. And despite not being the 'correct' colour, it's the reason I wanted a Cherry Sunburst LP - and why I have the memory I do of my dad saying "So, do you want it?" one day in a guitar shop, and me being speechless and having something to cherish for as long as I know what a guitar is

Adam

He’s a guitar and rock great by any reasonable standard and his body of guitar work on Appetite and UYI hit a peak very few others have or will match.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    roberty said:
    Oh, sweet child of lime

Personally I think that's a stunner.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6777
    I must've heard the wrong slash songs as pretty much everything ive heard him play, I've found his playing is fairly sloppy (especially on his well publicised self confessed one take improv album solos) and repetitive with a grating tone.  Compared to the likes of Paul Gilbert,  Joe bonamassa  John petrucci, vai etc etc who's tone is musical,  pleasing, with a rich timbre and who's playing is imaginative and precise, there's no contest. 

There's no denying his swagger and rock star cool though which is what enabled the marketing machine to sell so many albums.

While I am no Slash mega fan, of the guitarists you mentioned who can come up with riffs or hooks as good as Mr Brownstone, Night Train and SCOM? None of them have the feel that Slash does. Which of them have moved as many people around the world as Slash's songs have? Biggest song from all the artists you listed is 'To be With You' from Mr Big. 

You may as well be saying Muddy Waters is shit because he can't play Racer X's Technical Difficulties. 

As an aside John Petrucci is one of the most boring guitarists I have ever heard. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Cols said:
    Freebird said:
    Cols said:
    Lovely colours, but effectively there isn’t really much else to set them apart from a stock LP. 

Not that Is really expect a lot of customisation; Slash made his reputation on a ‘59 replica and standard guitars.  It’s basically a 30% markup for artist endorsement and pretty paint.
    His '59 replica would be viewed as a counterfeit in tFB classifieds 
    You’re right!

Lets ban him from the forum.
    That's not how it works if anyone with the slightest bit of fame openly joins the forum.

Driven out with open hostility, thats how it works!
    King85 said:
    roberty said:
    Oh, sweet child of lime

Personally I think that's a stunner.

Agreed was about to post the same.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • For those interested, Thomann have made a video: 

It says that the Vermillion burst and anaconda burst are limited edition but the November and Appetite are standard models. So it looks like we're finally getting a non-limited edition Slash signature!

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    ****total disinterest****

However...

Apart from that fact that I really couldn’t give a shit if Slash, Bonamassa and their ilk suddenly ceased to exist, just two things, IMHO:

*Signature guitars - I just don’t get the psychology of it. Never have, never will. For that matter, rock-star-owned “famous” guitars don’t do it either. But anyway...

*Signature guitars - obviously, many people do - whatever butters their parsnips. C’est la vie. However, what does piss me off is the OTT, cynical and relentless marketing which accompanies them (and other associated merchandise). How many models at how many price points? Etc, etc...

I’ll get me coat.
    Let alone the fact that EVERY LP is a signature model.. I think people sometimes forget that Les Paul was a person :) .. 
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    He wasn't playing Custom Shop guitars back in the day. Just off the peg Standards and I think Classics of the time with Seymour Duncan's. Just get  a Les Paul from that era and chuck appropriate pickups in and your instantly more authentic than these. Ive had a set of the non signature pups in one of my Les Paul's and neck pickup with tone down = Sweet child of mine!
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    I am in no way a Slash fan and do not want one of these at all....

Here are some guitars I own that modded to look like a guitarist from GNR, maybe Gilby Clarke, can't remember?

People are fans of who they want to be.

I have no time for Steve Vai so I won't be buying one of those new PIA JEM things he is currently endorsing. However, I also get people admire that playing style and guitar style and will. I also get that he is an extremely talented individual that deserve all the success he gets. 

Just because you don't like something or someone, it doesn't make it, them, or people who do like it or them shit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom