Squier HSS Bullet Hardtail Upgrades?

What's Hot
Hi all, just scored a hardtail hss bullet strat. My plan is to use a Tom DeLonge pickguard I have lying around to convert it into a single humbucker guitar.
I am thinking of maybe a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, or something from Iron Gear (any recommendations here on an Iron Gear humbucker for the bridge?)
I was thinking of a P90 humbucker, but I already have a Mascia JM and another single coil on the way, so something different woudl be nice.
I'll just have a volume pot and thinking of getting one of those speed volume control knobs, maybe... if they fit that is.
Any other recommendations on cheap upgrades? Would the hardtail bridge be worth replacing?
The tuners possibly as well, but I'll have to wait until I get it to see what tuners are on it.
I could probably live with the neck for now. I'm not going to put any money into refretting it etc if needs be.
Plan is to tune it D to D, and drop tune to C.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    The pickup upgrade that works amazingly well on Squier Affinity and Hello Kitty Strats is an EMG-81. (Not the 81X and not the Hetfield model.) Personally, I would install a tone control.

The bridge saddles are certainly worth upgrading. The baseplate is only worth replacing if you intend to convert to through body stringing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi all, just scored a hardtail hss bullet strat. My plan is to use a Tom DeLonge pickguard I have lying around to convert it into a single humbucker guitar.
    I am thinking of maybe a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker, or something from Iron Gear (any recommendations here on an Iron Gear humbucker for the bridge?)
    I was thinking of a P90 humbucker, but I already have a Mascia JM and another single coil on the way, so something different woudl be nice.
    I'll just have a volume pot and thinking of getting one of those speed volume control knobs, maybe... if they fit that is.
    Any other recommendations on cheap upgrades? Would the hardtail bridge be worth replacing?
    The tuners possibly as well, but I'll have to wait until I get it to see what tuners are on it.
    I could probably live with the neck for now. I'm not going to put any money into refretting it etc if needs be.
    Plan is to tune it D to D, and drop tune to C.

What's the string spacing at the bridge and what is the spacing of the screws for the bridge? 

I have a Squier Trohmann Tele bridge which has a hardtail bridge and the screw spacing and string spacing of the bridge would make it a bit tricky to get a decent bridge upgrade without a lot of bother.

It might be too much hassle to replace the entire bridge, but depending on the saddle spacing you could upgrade the saddles.
  • @Funkfingers I’ll check out the saddles and the pickup recommendation. I like the idea of just a volume knob.
  • I don’t have the guitar yet but would anyone know what saddles I could get? I saw some on axeparts but not sure yet what width to get.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    You may be pleasantly surprised by the bridge and tuners that are on it. Give them a week or two before you do anything 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @GoldenEraGuitars I suppose best not to jump the gun. Still need to decide on a humbucker!
  • I'd agree with Funkfingers about the EMG. If you want to go with Irongear though, the Metal Machine is very similar sounding to an EMG. The Hammerhead and Steam Hammer are also great, or if you want something slightly less hot then the Dirty Torque or Tesla Shark are great too. The only Irongear pickup I've not been so impressed with was the Hot Slag; can't really put my finger on why, but it just didn't sound as good as the others for some reason...

The Axetec locking tuners are also very good, and super-cheap: that might be a worthwhile upgrade
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• @skullfunkerry Thanks for the tip. Should have mentioned I won't be playing heavy metal etc or necessarily high high gain music. The EMG would be suited to that wouldn't it?
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 777
    Is there any benefit to removing the single coils or is just something you fancy doing?
  • @skullfunkerry Thanks for the tip. Should have mentioned I won't be playing heavy metal etc or necessarily high high gain music. The EMG would be suited to that wouldn't it?

People think EMGs are one trick ponies, but I think they're good for most things. They do excel at metal, but there are people using them for all sorts of music.

I think I'd be tempted to go for the Tesla Shark in your position: it's modelled after Slash's pickups (TeSLA SHark - I wondered why they were called that for ages!), so that should cover most bases
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• kaypeejay said:
    Is there any benefit to removing the single coils or is just something you fancy doing?
    Just fancy a one pickup guitar and like bolt on necks :)
  • Back home and had a go of the guitar for the first time. Surprisingly plays well out of the box. Dodgy pickup selector but no big deal as I’ll be getting it modded. Middle pickup confirms why I want to get rid of it :)
    The neck feels nice but feels very “dry” as if they forgot to put any oil on it which maybe they did and that’s the point.
    Any oil I could rub on it, the fretboard specifically ?
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    edited January 2020
    Back home and had a go of the guitar for the first time. Surprisingly plays well out of the box. Dodgy pickup selector but no big deal as I’ll be getting it modded. Middle pickup confirms why I want to get rid of it
    The neck feels nice but feels very “dry” as if they forgot to put any oil on it which maybe they did and that’s the point.
    Any oil I could rub on it, the fretboard specifically ?

Almond oil.  Cheap and easy to get hold off. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The Seymour Duncan Screamin' Demon is excellent in a Strat bridge position. Don't be fooled by the name, it's not a particularly high output pickup (think hot PAF) but has a beautifully airy, articulate sound with lots of harmonic 'juiciness'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have to say this guitar plays great. The neck on it, for me, is superb. It would be nice if it had some kind of finish on the back of the neck, but it plays bloody great for a cheap ass guitar.
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Have to say this guitar plays great. The neck on it, for me, is superb. It would be nice if it had some kind of finish on the back of the neck, but it plays bloody great for a cheap ass guitar.
    Every Bullet / Affinity Squier I've tried has had a lovely neck. I'd probably keep it as is because I like the satin feel. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • @joetele I guess so yep, looks like it could ding easily though..