simplest and cheapest recording setup

What's Hot
I want to be able to record myself but only as a sort of diary to monitor progress with my playing. This year I'm especially keen to sort out my timing and thought it would be interesting to have a visual representation of how far off the beat I am. I know absolutely nothing about recording so please assume no prior knowledge whatsoever but how do would I go about recording myself to a PC? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited January 2020
    Use your phone.

Seriously, I have a recording studio but when I am checking my playing I just film or record myself playing and look back over it.
    Nothing else is faster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited January 2020
    Wisdomed !  ( and it's brutally honest )

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I went for the Scarlett 2i2, and Reaper software. It’s a relatively inexpensive way in. Reaper is not necessary as the Scarlett comes with a Lite version of Ableton. I just didn’t get on with it so downloaded Reaper instead. I think there is a cheaper Scarlett with just one input too.
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    thanks @octatonic, I sort of do this already using a looper pedal, but really want to be able to see whats going on too. @CeeJay thanks I'll look into the scarlett.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    bloomer said:
    thanks @octatonic, I sort of do this already using a looper pedal, but really want to be able to see whats going on too. @CeeJay thanks I'll look into the scarlett.
    You can do that with many applications that give you a waveform.
    Garageband comes to mind but many phone audio recorders have a visual display.
  • bloomer said:
    If your phone is an iDevice, then GarageBand will do what you want. Set up a drum loop or click track at the bpm you need and the record yourself against it. And it will work wherever you are, not just when you're next to your PC or your looper pedal. You might also like AnyTune, which has some useful practice features. 

Regarding the "visual" aspect of being before/after the beat...  I honestly think it won't help to see it if you cannot actually hear it for yourself
  • bloomerbloomer Frets: 208
    My phone is android, any recommendations for an android equivalent of garageband?

@bigdipper I hear what you're saying about if you cant hear it then seeing it wont help but I'm interested to see whether as I progress my sensitivity increases. So right now maybe if I'm within 20 ms of the beat it sounds perfect to me but in a months time that will sound off and i might average 10ms either side of the beat. The nerd in me wants to quantify it
  • Lbloomer said:
    My phone is android, any recommendations for an android equivalent of garageband?

@bigdipper I hear what you're saying about if you cant hear it then seeing it wont help but I'm interested to see whether as I progress my sensitivity increases. So right now maybe if I'm within 20 ms of the beat it sounds perfect to me but in a months time that will sound off and i might average 10ms either side of the beat. The nerd in me wants to quantify it
    No suggestions for Android alternatives, sorry. There's a few out there, fairly cheap,  but I've not used any of them.

i think you've said it yourself regarding timing. If you're 20ms out and it "sounds" off...  Just sayin' :-) Good luck with it, anyway! 

TBH, I'm not sure how I'd do what you're planning and be able to distinguish between a rhythm where you have to be bang on the beat for musical nirvana and another rhythm where being slightly behind is musical nirvana. It all comes back to the ears. It can sometimes be hard to hear it when you're trying to play it, though, which is why recording yourself is so useful.