Is the Headrush FRFR the best option at the price?

What's Hot

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    The whole coaxial thing is new to me. People seem to say coaxial is better for monitors for some reason. Instinctively I’d have thought sticking the tweeter in front of the woofer would be a bad idea! 
    The principle is that it's better for phase coherency. As you go up the frequency range, there's a range of frequencies that gradually cross over from the woofer to the tweeter - so will come from both woofer and tweeter at the same time. Quite often it's right in the midrange which your ear is really sensitive to. If they're in different places, you can get phase cancellation that depends on where your ears are relative to the speaker - different travel time for the sound coming from two places.

If the tweeter's right in the middle of the woofer, you don't get that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Think I might go for one of these db FM10 wedges. They seem to be over £300 in most places but ~250 on Thomann atm so worth a try I think...although I will need to get a 1/4" - XLR adapter as they don't seem to have a jack input.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Think I might go for one of these db FM10 wedges. They seem to be over £300 in most places but ~250 on Thomann atm so worth a try I think...although I will need to get a 1/4" - XLR adapter as they don't seem to have a jack input.
    A good choice.  After trying a few that’s the one I stuck with.

get a dedicated jack XLR cable rather than an adapter, adapters tend to be flakey 
  • Done, ordered and (amazingly) dispatched.  =)

Yeah, I got a XLR - Jack cable. I like the form factor, the way you can have it standing up as well - I'd imagine that would work quite well as backline if it had to.

I'm really liking the Headrush sounds and using it without the cab modelling into a power amp and guitar cab just felt like I was not getting full use of it.

Now I see Headrush have brought out an official expression pedal with a toe switch which I kind of want. More GAS!

• Think I might go for one of these db FM10 wedges. They seem to be over £300 in most places but ~250 on Thomann atm so worth a try I think...although I will need to get a 1/4" - XLR adapter as they don't seem to have a jack input.

Loud enough for band use?? some of it's peers are often rated and 10 times the power...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Think I might go for one of these db FM10 wedges. They seem to be over £300 in most places but ~250 on Thomann atm so worth a try I think...although I will need to get a 1/4" - XLR adapter as they don't seem to have a jack input.

Loud enough for band use?? some of it's peers are often rated and 10 times the power...
    I have one, replaced a dxr10.  The ratings of PA gear doesn’t seem to add up, it’s as loud as the DXR, and certainly loud enough

Yes the FM10 will definitely be loud enough. I had the FM8 and that was loud enough. Watts mean nothing with PA speakers, SPL gives a much truer picture.
  • Well I was looking at the Laney LFR12.. but now I'm thinking FM10.. thanks a bunch..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• The DB Technologies stuff is very well respected on the German Fractal forum. There was a post on there where a couple of the main contributors took a DB Flexsys FM12 and applied some corrective parametric EQ within an Axe fx 2, and got the speaker sounding identical to an Atomic CLR. They posted the adjustments they made in the thread.
  • The DB Technologies stuff is very well respected on the German Fractal forum. There was a post on there where a couple of the main contributors took a DB Flexsys FM12 and applied some corrective parametric EQ within an Axe fx 2, and got the speaker sounding identical to an Atomic CLR. They posted the adjustments they made in the thread.

Good to know.. I had an Alto but the form factor just didn't seem right to me because other band members were using back line..

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_box_pro_mon_a12.htm have these been mention somewhere? I think there a number of rebadged variants too..

My trading feedback

For the extra few quid I’d get the dB over the box, it really is a quality speaker.  It’s not light though
  • John_A said:
    For the extra few quid I’d get the dB over the box, it really is a quality speaker.  It’s not light though
    Reassuringly weighty  =)
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited January 2020
    Yeah think the headrush is a rebadged alto..
  • AndyJP said:
    Yeah think the headrush is a rebadged alto..
    And re-voiced.
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    Ah it's revoiced?
  • My trading feedback

I would be, but 30kg, not for me
  • John_A said:

get a dedicated jack XLR cable rather than an adapter, adapters tend to be flakey 
    Should I be using a DI box?
  • John_A said:

Should I be using a DI box?
    think the output is balanced...it is a TRS and why else would you do that for a mono output? I can't find a definitive answer so I've asked Headrush support. In which case you shouldn't need to use a DI box I guess.

In unrelated news, I just discovered the Headrush has got a polyphonic drop tune pedal in the latest update...who knew?! Not me, obviously...
  • FYI if anyone is interested - Headrush confirmed that the 1/4" outputs on the gigboard are balanced.

Which was nice.