Will I record an album of acoustic covers this year? Possibly

ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
edited January 2020 in Making Music
First track done anyway, a Bryan Ferry cover.

https://martinsharman.bandcamp.com/track/dont-stop-the-dance
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Sounds really good! Lovely acoustic tone. I wish I could sing.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Aw, thanks! The acoustic is a J35 (reissue not vintage like the picture!) recorded using a weird SE small-diaphragm mic-on-a-stick which clamps on to the body. Looks naff but is great for getting a consistent tone - I can move around and the tone stays exactly the same. 

Not that I’m an expert but singing can be learned just like the guitar. Yes you’re born with one’s own vocal tone but pitch and delivery improve with practice and tuition. It just takes ages like the guitar!
  • Great work feller. I sometimes wonder if maybe I should be singing to songs that I play...then I occasionally try it and then my very limited guitar playing goes down the pan.  
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    edited January 2020
    V good that. Like it. Excellent on all counts. You should deffo do the album. I've found that when you do an acoustic version of a song (that isn't acoustic originally) you often realise how good a song it is. I'd love to be able to write good songs, I really would!
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Great stuff Martin, I look forward to hearing the rest of your album ! 
  • Snap said:
    V good that. Like it. Excellent on all counts. You should deffo do the album. I've found that when you do an acoustic version of a song (that isn't acoustic originally) you often realise how good a song it is. I'd love to be able to write good songs, I really would!
    Agree with that.  The acoustic approach really makes you appreciate the craft of the song and the subtleties of the arrangement and lyrics.

sticker said:
    Great stuff Martin, I look forward to hearing the rest of your album ! 
    Cheers dude, next one coming up shortly!
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited February 2020
    Another month, another cover.  This time by Van Halen, somewhat slowed down and mournful compared to the original.

https://martinsharman.bandcamp.com/track/why-cant-this-be-love