PRS S2

What's Hot
GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3605
Any users? How does the playability and tone stack up next to the Core models? Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14573
    Playability of S2 is just as good as Core models.

Tone/sound is subjective. The G&B-made pickups are not as nicely finished as the USA ones but this matters not. Pickups either suit the host guitar or they do not. 

My personal experience leads me to rate the Starla and D-Type pickups highly. A pair of #7 "S" humbuckers worked out great in a Chokai SG Standard. 

The weak spots on the S2 concern the hardware. I am not a fan of the S2 locking machineheads.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1307
    Second hand models are a great value. Excellent fretwork, well put together, hardware and G&B pickups are great despite being Asian made. Coil tapped tones on these are very usable. 
    I owned S2 standard which later belonged to @welshboyo and remember him being very happy with it too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7165
    I have an original Vela and it is really good. No issues for me with the locking tuners either.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3679
    I have a Core (Studio 22) and an S2 (Custom Semi-Hollow).  Obviously comparrisons are of limited value with a sample set of n=2 and also guitars of different constrction, however;

Playability of the S2 is very good indeed.  I prefer my Core as the action is lower (I'd say that it's damn near perferct for me) but I think that the S2 would be capable of the same results (I don't have all my guitars set the same as I find it useful to have some with a slightly higher action depending upon what style I am playing).

Sounds.  You are comparing a solid body HSS (actually the S's are really narrow field humbuckers) with a semi-hollow HH but I'd say that the Core Humbucker (a 57/08) is nicer - but that's a matter of personal taste.

Considering that the S2 cost me less than half of what I paid for the Core (both new) that's a lot of money to be paying for a small improvement.  Obviously the cosmetics on the Core far superior (again, subjective) plus there's the prestige of it being a 'real' PRS (snob value).

I've also had three SE's.  If I was in the market for another PRS then I'd be looking at the S2 range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    I like the satin S2s.  I think the thin finish really helps.  I prefer them to most of the "Core" models I've played (and I've owned quite a few).  The S2 satins were the last ones I sold.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3605
    Thanks all - very useful.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3346
    Yep I really like the satin S2’s. I kept them much longer than any of the core models I’ve had. I don’t have any PRS guitars now but I think except DGT,513 and Hollowbody I’ve owned them all, and I’d still pick an Vela over the lot of em. 
    grungebob said:
    Yep I really like the satin S2’s. I kept them much longer than any of the core models I’ve had. I don’t have any PRS guitars now but I think except DGT,513 and Hollowbody I’ve owned them all, and I’d still pick an Vela over the lot of em. 
    I have to say, I tried a DGT standard once, and kick myself for not getting it. 
    Which gives the more percussive neck pickup tone - 22 or 24?
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I tried an S2 24 today for the first time, lovely pickups in both humbucker and single coil mode. 

The neck would take a little bit of getting used to, as would the playing position, but only a little. The neck on the satin finish isn't as smooth as I assumed it would be, you can feel the pores. Nice to feel, but not a fast neck IMO. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Fuengi said:
    I tried an S2 24 today for the first time, lovely pickups in both humbucker and single coil mode. 

The neck would take a little bit of getting used to, as would the playing position, but only a little. The neck on the satin finish isn't as smooth as I assumed it would be, you can feel the pores. Nice to feel, but not a fast neck IMO. 

Once you play it for a few months, it will develop a bit of a shine on it, and feel a lot faster.  The feel of the neck is one of the best things about the satin ones.
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    S2's are great .. If you're thinking of one see the ad in classifieds for my S2 Mira :) @Greatape ;

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    Fuengi said:

A few hours playing and it changes, a few weeks and it goes silky smooth. 
    I’m talking myself into getting another one here lol. 
    grungebob said:
    Fuengi said:

A few hours playing and it changes, a few weeks and it goes silky smooth. 
    I’m talking myself into getting another one here lol. 

The neck profile was really nice, I've not tried the 22 as a comparison yet but I would say that the pickups had a percussive feel, but smooth at the same time.

I only had a short time with it as an A/B with a Gibson Firebird, it was far better in every department. The neck felt like it was opening up a whole new set of octaves, yet playing open chords wasn't a stretch. 
  • I have a satin S2 Vela. If it's not my immediate go-to guitar, which it mostly is, it's definitely my go-to second guitar.

It's also just as good as any of the core model PRS guitars I own or have owned.

Secondhand S2's offer ridiculous value for money.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • Another fan of them here - I had a Cu22 S/H alongside a Core Paul’s Guitar and there wasn’t really anything in it between them in terms of feel, quality or performance. Can’t wait to get one of the S2 594’s in a year or so :)
    Went back today to try the S2 24 Standard Satin, this time next to a S2 Singlecut and a SE Hollowbody II. 

The 24 was the standout winner for me, articulate pickups, easy to play and very versitile. 
    What did you think to the hollowbody? I strummed one unplugged on Saturday and felt let down by it. Conversely the SE Paul’s guitar I thought would be Papp turned out to be great, much nicer colours in the flesh than online. 
    grungebob said:
    What did you think to the hollowbody? I strummed one unplugged on Saturday and felt let down by it. Conversely the SE Paul’s guitar I thought would be Papp turned out to be great, much nicer colours in the flesh than online. 

I didn't like it. The fretboard wasn't great, looked like it needed a bloody good oiling and it had lots of feet dust on it as PRS often do. 

It was light as a feather but pretty in inspiring to play. 

I like the look of Paul's Guitar, PMT didn't have one in.