NGD: What have I become? And a conundrum.

What's Hot
Despite having commented elsewhere that I am aware that I have too many guitars, since being in a band getting regular weekend work I thought I would try and elevate my gear from the rag-tag collection of eBay bargains, partscasters and self builds and make sure I had a core of good, honest gigging machines.  Despite trying desperately for many years to like Les Pauls, and starting to come round to them more recently, I realised that if was being honest with myself, if were buying another humbucker guitar, it may as well be another Ibanez, and a number of recent threads on here (and some other factors) got me clicking some buttons.

I've always excused the amount of guitars I own with variety, but now I've become one of those people with a bunch of very similar axes.

(R to L: The new Jem Junior, the '95 RG450 I've owned from new, and the thing with a handle I built when I thought I would never actually buy myself a Jem of any description.)

As it turns out, the promising band I was in fell apart a few months ago but, as I said, there were other factors at work.  I am happy with my purchase.

But now for the conundrum.  While peeling the protective film from the pick guard I discovered this.  I've reported back to the vendor and they've offered me a £15 goodwill gesture, "as it's only cosmetic," or a replacement.

1. I would have thought it would cost them a bit more that £15 in shipping and general aggro to replace it.
2. It doesn't bother me hugely.
3. I had half a mind to replace the pick guard with something more funky anyway.

So half of me thinks they could do a bit better than that and wants to swap it for a pristine example, but the other half thinks I should just take their offer and not fret over it (pun acknowledged).
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10277
    Nice guitars. 

It's just a pickguard. Buy a new one it's just not worth the hassle if it's already a nice guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Needs a pearloid guard anyway!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Needs a pearloid guard anyway!
    I actually don't like the pearloid guards on the 'proper' white Jems.  I also prefer the Cosmo black hardware to the premium gold bling.  A chacun son gout. ;)
    Tres bien!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    It's not "only cosmetic" and it'll be a problem if you ever want to sell it. 15 quid is a joke. Send the guitar back for a brand new non - damaged replacement.

All that said, good looking guitar :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It’s a replaceable piece of plastic and these guitars won’t all be identical/as good. No point swapping a cracked pickguard for a potentially I nferior guitar. The shop should pay for a replacement guard though, ideally.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Ask them to source you a genuine replacement and send it out to you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A friend has an example with  a poor finish to the trem cutaway and monkey grip - machining marks and sloppy paint. 

If it plays nicely and the woodwork is good I'd be very tempted to just ask them to send a new pick guard. 

Nice collection btw
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Yeh thats not 'only cosmetic'. A blemish or scuff or scrape is cosmetic. 

What irks me most regardless of what it is and if its an easy fix, is you paid for something brand new, so you wouldnt want a crack in any of it. 

Thing is, most things I've sent back which have what I class as faults (a dodgy neck angle, microphonic pickups, stripped screws), I see as in stock as new on the website again the next day. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for all the feedback, folks.  I agree with all of you! =)

However, I'm currently on a bit of a "life's too short" kick and the rest of it is sound so I'll probably just take their paltry offering and leave it at that.

Just in case anyone is curious, it was bought from Gear4music.  I've spent a considerable amount with them over the years ('platinum' customer FWIW) and never had any issues previously.  I guess I was just hoping for a slightly more generous gesture.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    £15 is too little. Tell them you'll accept £21.49.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-JEMJR-Jem-Jr-post-2015-pickguard-HSH-various-colours-1-3-4-ply/113662644803

That would get you a replacement white 3-ply one, or you could choose a different one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    I'd ask them to replace the pickguard at a bare minimum.

I've always excused the amount of guitars I own with variety, but now I've become one of those people with a bunch of very similar axes.

They're different colours... whats the problem? :)

• Take the £15 and buy a new scratchplate, I assume you got a bit of a deal when you bought the guitar so add that discount into the mix as well.The issue about sending it back is wil the replacement be as good although cosmetically perfect? 

Finally fill he split with some white nail varnish 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited January 2020
    You should be able to make an invisible fix with some glue. Take it off first tho! And do it from the back. If you want to that is.
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    edited January 2020
    Yep it's a broken part not a blemish and as such can and should be replaced by the vendor.

If this was from a retailer then they should have been checking things prior to sending out and as such this should have been noticed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72660
    King85 said:
    Yep it's a broken part not a blemish and as such can and should be replaced by the vendor.

If this was from a retailer then they should have been checking things prior to sending out and as such this should have been noticed.
    To be fair, it would be very hard to see under the plastic cover layer.

Even so, £15 is tightfisted when having it returned and a new one sent out will cost them more than that in courier fees, even ignoring the cost of a replacement guard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10725
    That left hand one is lovely. Is the headstock your own design?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    That left hand one is lovely. Is the headstock your own design?
    Thanks. Yes, it's heavily Ibby, of course, with a vague nod toward Fender.  3x Iron Gear Jailhouse Rails each with their own Full/Split/Off switch.  To be fair, I use the bridge humbucking 98% of the time, with the occasional addition of the middle in split mode for twang.