SSL Interfaces

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Was there a reason you went for the + version? Just out of interest..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Was there a reason you went for the + version? Just out of interest..
    Mostly the extra headphone output.
  • Thanks! 

It seems plug and play. Which I like. 
    BabyFace meant to be great but the interface like learning Latin lol
  • I’ve got a 2+ sitting here. It’s always been easy to use and no driver issues on Mac.

I moved over to a BiGSiX and then sold loads of gear so didn’t need the mixer, then moved onto an RME.

The RME is quite an upgrade in sound, the converters sound great and it’s the first time I’ve ever really heard the difference between OK and reportedly “Great” converters - obviously at a cost. Total mix app is very good for routing, but needs some time to get your head around it tbh. Saving presets is great and really helpful. But for a simple interface, the SSL is great and hard to beat

Welcome to borrow mine if you wanted to try it out for a couple of weeks for cost of postage. It’s just sat there as a spare if I need it one day. Though I’m sure you could get one on Amazon and return it if needed. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah my friend I really appreciate that! 
    However I just bought one new from Amazon for ease of return. Did consider used but better re warranty. Don't need the midi etc so opted for the simpler one plus is so easy to use, plug and play - should suit me down to the ground. Thanks!
  • Ah my friend I really appreciate that! 
    However I just bought one new from Amazon for ease of return. Did consider used but better re warranty. Don't need the midi etc so opted for the simpler one plus is so easy to use, plug and play - should suit me down to the ground. Thanks!
    No worries. Does make it easier if it’s not for you. Good luck with it all!
  • Thank you, and again - that was very decent of you!!
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited December 2023
    Thread resurrection. I'm also looking at SSL2 and read driver issues are a lot less than other interfaces. Those who use it... All good? Considered RME but way over budget considering I'd be a light user. 
    The RME drivers are hassle-free and worth the price of admission IMHO. They are also updated regularly forever, which is not to be underestimated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited December 2023
    Above is noted. I actually considered the RME solely due to that, but it does cost more and isn't as "plug & play" - I'm all for simplicity and this SSL2 does seem very simple to use. 

Well I got the SSL2 today, plugged it in, downloaded the drivers etc.
    --> Playing simple YouTube videos, I hear crackling. 
    --> Unplugging and then plugging back the USB cable seemed to work. Hmm.

So far so good post-crackling issue!

This thing also seems to work with my Lewitt LCT140 mic (this mic was NOT working with my Toneport and that may have been due to an inability to source the required current - who knows...)
  • Audio quality from this thing is a step up from my Toneport, it's noticeable. 

Only niggle is, I was recording a few things last night and there was one glitch in the recorded audio at one point. I'm guessing that's down to drivers and where RME would be more stable. 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2416
    Are you on MacOS or Windows? On MacOS practically all USB interfaces use the driver built into Core Audio so there shouldn't be any difference. And on Windows nearly all of them use the generic drivers that XMOS or Thesycon make available, so again, there's unlikely to be a massive difference in stability.