'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10404
    tFB Trader
    Transparent bobbins are fairly easy to get hold of like this ... Gibson have used em on and off
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never seen them before! Very cool.  

More complications to my search.  Git.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Transparent bobbins are fairly easy to get hold of like this ... Gibson have used em on and off...
    Cool :)
    tFB Trader
    I often thought about bunging LEDs behind some clear bobbins to have 'cruising lights' on a pair of pickups :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGuitarWeasel;56085" said:
    I often thought about bunging LEDs behind some clear bobbins to have 'cruising lights' on a pair of pickups :)
    Oh my god YES.

although I have no idea whether I would want them in my next build, the one after that (this really is addictive) could be plain white, with blue lit pickups, and I could install LEDs into the knobs, and the fretboard could have them and...

... I've gone too far, haven't I?

tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel;56085" said:
    Oh my god YES.

although I have no idea whether I would want them in my next build, the one after that (this really is addictive) could be plain white, with blue lit pickups, and I could install LEDs into the knobs, and the fretboard could have them and...

I would recommend a warm drink and an early night ....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheGuitarWeasel;56092" said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:

TheGuitarWeasel;56085" said:I often thought about bunging LEDs behind some clear bobbins to have 'cruising lights' on a pair of pickups :)

Oh my god YES.

I would recommend a warm drink and an early night ....
    Excellent advice. I can always count on you.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Just thinking out loud, but I was considering swapping out the Tonerider AlnIIs in my Fernandes Ravelle for something else, I keep thinking along the lines of the BKP Mule or Rebel Yells. Do you have equivalents ot those? 
    TheGuitarWeasel;56085" said:
    Oh my god YES.

Are you Ace Frehley?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    daveyh;56224" said:
    Just thinking out loud, but I was considering swapping out the Tonerider AlnIIs in my Fernandes Ravelle for something else, I keep thinking along the lines of the BKP Mule or Rebel Yells. Do you have equivalents ot those? 
    If you do switch out the Toneriders I'll buy them if you decide to sell. I always regretted selling the guitar I had those in though it's really the pickups I miss not the guitar.
    Adam_MD said:
    daveyh;56224" said:
    If you do switch out the Toneriders I'll buy them if you decide to sell. I always regretted selling the guitar I had those in though it's really the pickups I miss not the guitar.
    Yeah, they are pretty excellent and although I'm in no rush I'm thinking someting with a bit more output might be useful for me. They replaced a SD JB/Jazz set that was totally unsuited to the guitar.
    edited October 2013 tFB Trader
    Well my Blitz Spirits are available with alnico 4 magnets ... putting them firmly into the 'Mule' camp ... and my Scrapyeard dog Plus comes close to a Rebel Yell ... though I would put a tad more wire on it for you to get even closer.
    Mind you ... my pickups do have a character all of their own ... and are really not sound alikes.

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260

Hmmm... LEDs tucked inside the f-holes of an archtop anybody....? :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • bigdawgbigdawg Frets: 51
    Is there anywhere I can hear clips of some of the tele pups in action..?!

bigdawg said:
    Is there anywhere I can hear clips of some of the tele pups in action..?!

Here blows a Diesel Tap (twin output HardMan 6 and 9k) and a HardMan neck as demoed by Jef of this parish
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vst6wbgrBR8

And here another customer gives a swift blat with A HonkyTonk Angel 'Broadcaster' style alnico 2 bridge unit .. and a HonkyTonk Angel alnico 3 neck PU.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UNPEOC6EQ
    Hope this helps :)

its the honky tonk neck Im interested in - for a 52ri tele, but the diesel tap and neck dont sound as 'Hard' as maybe Id expect from the name and seem quite 'smooth'!

Also strat pickups triple blues or stone tones for cream / hendrix/ clapton tones??!

tFB Trader
    bigdawg said:
    its the honky tonk neck Im interested in - for a 52ri tele, but the diesel tap and neck dont sound as 'Hard' as maybe Id expect from the name and seem quite 'smooth'!

Also strat pickups triple blues or stone tones for cream / hendrix/ clapton tones??!

I think recording can be deceptive here's a little of the HardMan neck (you have to scroll down the page a tad) http://www.oilcitypickups.co.uk/tele.html
    doing some blues.
    As  far as the bridge unit is concerned ... at a shade over 9k with 42awg wire (most Tele pickups only go that far with 43awg) it ts very subjectively loud and can drive an amp front end quite hard.

With Strat pickups it depends how you want to get your dirt :) StoneTones will give your preamp a good old kicking before you use any pedals as they have a touch more power. Neither is particularly 'mid' happy so if you are looking for late Clapton 'boosted mid' tones they would both need help with that ... as Clapton's Strat did :).
    Triple Blues are a touch more 'airy' for those Hendrix cleans perhaps ... but it's a tough call.

I also have Calibre .53 and shortly Calibre .532 sets to go up on the site as well. These are hybrid alnico 3/5 and 3/5 and 2 sets respectively. All the bottom clang of alnico 5 with a smoother top ... and more bridge sustain in the Calibre .532 with alnico 2in the bridge position.   

Please dont confuse me any more - just when I get things kind of narrowed down something else gets thrown into the mix!!

You see that demo of the Hard Man is what Id expect a honky tonk or thames delta to sound like - or rather what Id like them to sound like!

Lol ears are subjective things ... that's why I give you 30 days to get used to a pickup or you can just send it back ... and I'll either swap it, rewind it to your taste ... or give you yer sovs back :)
    I don't really have any confidence in 'clips' or 'demos' as  they get listened to on crappy speakers even if the recording's bang on.

There are quite a few people who've had HardMan bridge units on here ... and a few that have had Deltas ... I'm sure the odd one could give you a potted summery of how they sound :)

your clip of the hardman - is that through a totally clean channel or a 'bluesy' channel?!

tbh your clip of the hardman is really good and the quality comes right through - any chance of you doing a couple of clips (not youtube) for the delta and honky tonk?!