Universal Audio Luna.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Stuckfast said:

As for saving CPU cycles... so far my impression is that LUNA is somewhat heavy on these, though I should test it on a faster computer before complaining too much. 
    I've got some Pro Tools Expert articles to write but then I should be doing some sort of Luna write up, testing with a 2019 Mac Pro.

The Pro Tools Native analogy is a good one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    From a pure usage point of view tracking with Logic and Luna on the same laptop, logic has noticeable latency and Luna doesn't...

there's lot of stuff I haven't tried yet. No idea how the midi implementation is, for example, so I'm sure I'll be back to Logic but I can see using Luna for tracking a lot. Am going to commit to trying to do the next 2-3 songs in Luna and see how it goes. 
  • Stuckfast said:

Luna will have direct access to the interface. No ASIO or CoreAudio required from what I can tell anyway. No additional buffers to deal with. No driver-induced latency. Everything runs directly on the card saving the need to rely on CPU cycles.

It definitely isn't the case that everything runs directly on the card. The closest comparison is probably something like Pro Tools HD Native.

The LUNA mixer incorporates the functionality of the Console, to provide low-latency paths that allow inputs and up to two auxes to be routed directly to outputs. These run on the card and can have UAD plug-ins on them. They are switched quite cleverly on the fly so you don't need to worry about latency while tracking as long as you don't want to use native plug-ins. In other respects, though, LUNA's mixer is just like those in other DAWs, running natively on the host machine and requiring buffering. I don't know whether it uses Core Audio or a proprietary driver protocol.

As for saving CPU cycles... so far my impression is that LUNA is somewhat heavy on these, though I should test it on a faster computer before complaining too much.

Yes you're right I should've been clearer. The UAD plugins run on the card. The native extensions and AU plugins run on CPU.

FWIW I recreated a Reaper mix in Luna. Same CPU usage here. 87%. Reaper was nicer though because I could freeze tracks to save some cycles.

Bye!

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Tempting. I was all about to download it and then I skim-read a review that mentioned the dreaded 'iLok' word. FFS - isn't my Apollo a #$&£! dongle already? :-/
    goldtop said:
    Tempting. I was all about to download it and then I skim-read a review that mentioned the dreaded 'iLok' word. FFS - isn't my Apollo a #$&£! dongle already? :-/
    You can do machine based authorisation.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    octatonic said:
    goldtop said:

Is that Internet/Cloud-based? (Apologies if it's a dumb q: I've always switched off at iLok-related discussions.)
    goldtop said:
    octatonic said:
    goldtop said:

Is that Internet/Cloud-based? (Apologies if it's a dumb q: I've always switched off at iLok-related discussions.)
    Actually I misspoke.
    You cannot do machine authorisation.
    It has to be iLok Cloud or to a physical key.

Machine authorisation is different to Cloud.
    Cloud requires a persistent internet connection.
    Machine based essentially uses the hard drive as the 'key'.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9533
    Ive got a real dumb, simple newbie question about Luna...

I haven't even tried it yet, but can it offer drum loops like Logic/Garage band ?

Told you it was dumb.
    edited April 2020

I haven't even tried it yet, but can it offer drum loops like Logic/Garage band ?

Told you it was dumb.
    There is a 20GB sample library.

It isn't really for electronic music production, although it can do it.
    Logic and Ableton Live are a much better fit for that imho.
    You gets many more samples with Logic and Live- if that is what you want.
    Personally I either never install or uninstall that stuff.

Told you it was dumb.
    Don't know about loops but I did some drum programming last night and that was pretty
    straightforward. SD3 ran pretty seamlessly
    and the included Shape instrument has some half decent drum sounds. 
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    edited June 2020
    Have made a start with Luna also guys.  I've come from Logic.  I'm enjoying it so far, it's very simple to use.

Does anyone else think the Neve Summing is a bit expensive?   I was interested till I saw the price.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    A year on and an update on, how are users finding Luna?
    Still using Luna here. It's still my favourite and getting my best results from it.

I like it's simplicity because I can focus on the music. I'm used to it now so wouldn't use anything else.

My only complaint is that it will only work with an internet connection. Because it is constantly validating your user account. So if your WiFi signal drops out Luna will close.
    It's great for tracking and mastering but I still find logic easier for mixing and for midi. Getting plenty of use out of both 
    I wish Luna had a bundled eq like logic. Don't want to fork out for fabfilter pro q