Bridge for Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby

Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
edited January 2020 in Guitar
I've got an Epiphone Riviera and I'm going to be changing the frequensator for a Bigsby B7 I've got. I don't want any tuning problems so I've replaced the tuners with some Gotohs and I've got a tusqXL nut so, once the nut is cut, filed & fit, everything will be sorted at that end.

I also want to replace the bridge as the saddles are pretty loose. The post screws are also pretty loose in the bushings in the body which means that, once the Bigsby is fitted, the whole bridge may rock back and forth. Depending on what you read this might actually be a good thing with a Bigsby - is this so?

Options I've looked at are:

• A better quality ABR-1 style - in line with what the guitar came with and should have better fitting saddles but they often don't come with new bushings, so the posts could still be loose which may or may not be a problem.
  • Roller Bridge - I've seen some people say that they do help with tuning stability & others say that they don't make any difference. If I went for one I'd probably get one of them Goldo ones off Thomann.
  • A Nashville style TOM - Look like a pretty solid bridge but I don't know if they're any good with a Bigsby.
I've found a lot of contradicting info so far but I trust tFB to send me in the right direction
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    Ben8010 said:
    I've got an Epiphone Riviera and I'm going to be changing the frequensator for a Bigsby B7 I've got.

The post screws are also pretty loose in their holes which means that, once the Bigsby is fitted, the whole bridge may rock back and forth. Depending on what you read this might actually be a good thing with a Bigsby - is this so?

Probably, try it first. As long as the looseness is not in the body holes and on the bridge itself. I've modified two bridges specifically to rock back and forward (not slide).with bigsby use and the improvement is huge.

If you still get saddle rattle you can try some clear nail varnish on the loose ones. 
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited January 2020
    Probably, try it first. As long as the looseness is not in the body holes and on the bridge itself.

@Winny_Pooh ;The posts are actually loose in the bushings in the body.

I've edited the OP to make this more clear now