Rick31k’s adventures buying a guitar from Andertons

What's Hot
RolandRoland Frets: 8816
edited January 2020 in Guitar
This discussion relates to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171896/ngd-j-mascis-jazzmaster

It was created from comments split from: Incoming NGD: Chapman ML1 Cap10
Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rich31kRich31k Frets: 811
    Just had a call from Andertons saying that even though they’ve dispatched the guitar to me, someone else should be having it. So I have to refuse delivery if it turns up tomorrow. Like some sort of GAS torture. 

Probably better not telling me how awesome it is.

Enjoy your new guitar!
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Rich31k said:
    Just had a call from Andertons saying that even though they’ve dispatched the guitar to me, someone else should be having it. So I have to refuse delivery if it turns up tomorrow. Like some sort of GAS torture. 

Enjoy your new guitar!
    WTF?! That doesn't sound right. If they've taken two people's money and it's on its way to you surely that's the other guys problem?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    roberty said:
    Rich31k said:

Enjoy your new guitar!
    WTF?! That doesn't sound right. If they've taken two people's money and it's on its way to you surely that's the other guys problem?
    I was of the same opinion - seems much more effort to recall and ship it again than just disappoint someone else. 

Feel there must be more to it than I was told (maybe going to staff/mate/regular...?), but I wasn’t given any option.

I know cock ups happen, but seems a funny way to deal with it.  
    And I’m £500 out of pocket for a few days. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich31k said:

Enjoy your new guitar!
    I deffo wouldn’t refuse delivery.. it’s the product you ordered and paid for. Sounds like a scam! Even though I doubt it is. 

Tough luck for them I would suggest. What kind of store asks for that.
  • Rich31k said:
    Simple solution - ask them how much store credit they're going to give you to persuade you to hand back the guitar that you paid for, and you want.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Rich31k said:
    Simple solution - ask them how much store credit they're going to give you to persuade you to hand back the guitar that you paid for, and you want.

If it turns up, someone else in the house might end up signing for it, then I can have that conversation with them. 

It’ll probably be recalled and all over and done with though. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4945
    edited January 2020
    If it's coming to you I'd keep it, it's not your problem. If they want it back I agree with digitalscream they should offer you something in return. You've paid for it after all.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Yep, sounds like their cock-up and would have expected their approach to you to be a lot more delicate. You've paid for the guitar, they've shipped you the guitar - any mistakes are on them to resolve. If they'd like you to refuse delivery I'd certainly be asking for some sort of incentive rather than just "or else". 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Yep agreed, keep it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Open and try it, if you like it keep it. Ridiculous request from a store.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12204
    Bizarre request from Andertons there.

Anyone know the legal position?

@rich31k I think the guitar is excellent still, hope you like yours, should you receive it.

If you are upset by the situation (I would be) dont hesitate to complain a bit, I'd expect a bit of goodwill if you were kind enough to return it!

Few thousand loyalty points or a free tone city pedal or two?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12204
    @rich31k BTW I'd be very keen to hear the resolution here.

This is exactly why it would be so valuable for some posters around here to be a bit nicer to retailers at times so we can get representatives on the forum.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    I've always found Andertons customer service to be pretty good but this just sounds a bit bizarre.
    @rich31k BTW I'd be very keen to hear the resolution here.

This is exactly why it would be so valuable for some posters around here to be a bit nicer to retailers at times so we can get representatives on the forum.
    I’m glad you’re enjoying your guitar.

I’ll keep you updated. I was told I’d be refunded straight away, and the guitar would probably be recalled by the courier. 

Well so far I haven’t been refunded and I’ve just received a text from the courier saying the guitar will be delivered today. I’m going to take delivery of it even if it does end up going back, in the very small chance it is some kind of scam. I’ve not received anything in writing and there’s no change to my order status on Andertons’ website. 

Clearly someone has messed up which is totally understandable, but it’s being dealt with in quite an unprofessional manner. 

Generally I’ve had very positive transactions with music shops. Rich Tone just let me get on with trying guitars. Peach dispatched some bits to me exceptionally quickly. And the chap I dealt with at GuitarGuitar in Birmingham was excellent when I went to try some Gibsons - spent hours with me, and let me try loads of different guitars (which resulted in a sale). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2347
    I have found Andertons can be VERY hit and miss with service. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    I have found Andertons can be VERY hit and miss with service. 
    It sounds to me like someone is circumventing process? Can't be normal behaviour
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6886
    Who called you? Call them back ask to speak to Mr Beesley. He's always been great. They'll have notes their side if they've requested this.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5852
    This thread has me so confused. Having hit my Hawaii, book em Danno age, I don’t know if I should be shouting at clouds or standing up for us young folks. 

I do think the guitar looks great and I’m glad you’re enjoying. I’ll definitely be checking some out next time I’m Guildford way. 

@Rich31k I hope yours turns up today and you get to keep it. If you let it go back, I hope they’re nice to you and show some gratitude. 

And in other random thoughts, isn’t someone playing an instrument a musician, in the same way someone riding a bike is a cyclist? 
    skunkwerx said:
    Who called you? Call them back ask to speak to Mr Beesley. He's always been great. They'll have notes their side if they've requested this.
    Lawrence called me. Still nothing happened here either refund or delivery attempt. I left a message for Mr Beesley to call a while ago, but he’s on lunch. I was told he’d call back, so maybe he’ll have some more information. 
This discussion has been closed.