Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My band's album was due out today (EDIT: it's getting all legal now)

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26647
    edited January 2020
    Please dont take this negatively  but it's not the early 2000s anymore
    I assume your unsigned hense you having to  pay for the "priveledge " of the promoter? Everything they do you can do yourselves, getting on radio stations is a waste of time unless is a major station , you 100% have to concentrate on social media, and immediate content.
    It's not promotion, it's public relations - there's a distinct difference. And a good PR representative will have contacts that are unavailable to other folk; that's the whole point, you're not paying so much for things that are beyond your skill level, you're paying for (reliable) access to those contacts.

Ultimately....yes, it would be possible in the strictest sense for us to do that part of the job ourselves, but it'd be monstrously time-consuming to do it and much more hit-and-miss; there's a big world beyond social media which needs to be dealt with, and it's simply more effective to pay somebody who does it every day. At least...it's supposed to be.
    I'm sorry to say but I disagree, (again only opinion) record companies are not interested in you unless you have a certain amount of presence and a certain following, they are risk averse, having contacts means nothing if you're not up to scratch in the areas that matter to them.
    You know as much as me that the music is now not the selling point your sellability is and how you promote, music they have to give out for free, gigs merch and ad revinue is what's key.

The only people in the business who are interested in your music are independent labels  as they have less to lose, but you certainly won't make any money with them in the current musical climate. And certainly will take you a very long time to get your moneys worth. 
    This is nothing to do with record companies, though...? We're not chasing a deal at all, from a big label or an independent one. PR is nothing to do with that.

It's not directly about promotion, either. It's about paying a publicist to use their contacts in much larger publications and radio stations, who trust them to provide them with good content, to get you a bigger platform to plug your music. Most of those contacts get hundreds of submissions a week, and thus binning all the ones that aren't from trusted contacts (unless there's a stellar reason not to) is pretty much accepted practice.

Hence...PR. Plus the consultancy that goes with it, from somebody who's seen lots of successful and not-so-successful releases.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Is your PR aim to generate audience, sales, gigs or a combination of the above?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Please dont take this negatively  but it's not the early 2000s anymore
    I assume your unsigned hense you having to  pay for the "priveledge " of the promoter? Everything they do you can do yourselves, getting on radio stations is a waste of time unless is a major station , you 100% have to concentrate on social media, and immediate content.
    It's not promotion, it's public relations - there's a distinct difference. And a good PR representative will have contacts that are unavailable to other folk; that's the whole point, you're not paying so much for things that are beyond your skill level, you're paying for (reliable) access to those contacts.

Ultimately....yes, it would be possible in the strictest sense for us to do that part of the job ourselves, but it'd be monstrously time-consuming to do it and much more hit-and-miss; there's a big world beyond social media which needs to be dealt with, and it's simply more effective to pay somebody who does it every day. At least...it's supposed to be.
    I'm sorry to say but I disagree, (again only opinion) record companies are not interested in you unless you have a certain amount of presence and a certain following, they are risk averse, having contacts means nothing if you're not up to scratch in the areas that matter to them.
    You know as much as me that the music is now not the selling point your sellability is and how you promote, music they have to give out for free, gigs merch and ad revinue is what's key.

The only people in the business who are interested in your music are independent labels  as they have less to lose, but you certainly won't make any money with them in the current musical climate. And certainly will take you a very long time to get your moneys worth. 
    This is nothing to do with record companies, though...? We're not chasing a deal at all, from a big label or an independent one. PR is nothing to do with that.
    So why pay the cash if you're not wanting to get recognised and get distribution? 
    edited January 2020
    @Strangefan - read the edited post above. There is a distinct difference between "promotion" and "PR" (and a massive difference between either of those and "record label"). At this point, you're probably better off Googling it, because I'm obviously failing at explaining it myself

Audience. Sales would be nice, but after this many years we're past the point where we think we'll ever make a living off it; it's more about believing the songs are worth listening to, and inserting them into as many ears as possible.
    <space for hire>
    edited January 2020
    @Strangefan - read the edited post above. There is a distinct difference between "promotion" and "PR" (and a massive difference between either of those and "record label"). At this point, you're probably better off Googling it, because I'm obviously failing at explaining it myself

Audience. Sales would be nice, but after this many years we're past the point where we think we'll ever make a living off it; it's more about believing the songs are worth listening to, and inserting them into as many ears as possible.
    Yeah, I can see the value in PR for that. Not sure you’re getting value at the moment tho
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    It sounds like they need a spot on the B ark with all the telephone sanitisers and hairdressers. 
    Not hairdressers, they contribute enormous value to humanity compared to parasites like this.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It's all good, we shall settle this man to man at metal to the masses, finals :D (assuming we both get through:D) 
    edited January 2020
    It's all good, we shall settle this man to man at metal to the masses, finals D (assuming we both get through:D) 
    Dude, at this point I'm hoping I'll still have a band by then :P

Besides, last time we got to the final, the comment from the judge was, "Yeah, you'd have sounded heavy...in the 70s."

I don't think there's much hope ;)
    <space for hire>
    It's all good, we shall settle this man to man at metal to the masses, finals D (assuming we both get through:D) 
    Dude, at this point I'm hoping I'll still have a band by then :P

Besides, last time we got to the final, the comment from the judge was, "Yeah, you'd have sounded heavy...in the 70s."

I don't think there's much hope ;)
    Yup. This is the reason we had a hiatus, everything about music..... Apart from the actuslly music itsself sucks! 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2417
    Let's face it, quite often the music itself sucks too.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24423
    Damn.

I was really looking forward to torrenting it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, that's the first deadline missed, given that they read the message at 5:13pm yesterday, and they had 24hrs from that point to send us evidence that they'd actually done the work they claimed to.

I'm shocked.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18849
    They'll probably pull the '24 hours, within normal working hours' stroke... gits  :/
  • They'll probably pull the '24 hours, within normal working hours' stroke... gits  :/
    Given that they ignored us for the entire week running up to our release, including the release day itself (they hadn't even noticed that we announced the launch was being pulled), and then finally responded after close of business on the Friday...that may not hold water ;)
    <space for hire>
    They'll probably pull the '24 hours, within normal working hours' stroke... gits  :/
    Given that they ignored us for the entire week running up to our release, including the release day itself (they hadn't even noticed that we announced the launch was being pulled), and then finally responded after close of business on the Friday...that may not hold water ;)
    You’re forgetting - working hours are different when you work out of your garden shed..
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5388
    You’re forgetting - working hours are different when you work out of your garden shed..
    As someone who used to work out of a garden shed, in my experience they were longer. I suspect this lot have a work period just long enough to secure new business and issue invoices before knocking off for the week.
    Snags said:
    As someone who used to work out of a garden shed, in my experience they were longer. I suspect this lot have a work period just long enough to secure new business and issue invoices before knocking off for the week.
    Sssssh stop giving my secrets away
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2292
    I’m so sorry you are in the middle of dealing with such incompetent twats.

I remember only too well trying to navigate The idiocy of the industry morons.

Sorry you have to put up with this shit and the anxiety it brings.  Too many bad memories of arseholes and f wits 

I’m so glad I’m not trying to make a living in the business anymore and am enjoying just music for its own sake. 

Best wishes. 
  • Still no response to the complaint, and we've raised a PP dispute to try to get some of the money back.

Also, the plot has thickened somewhat with contact from a couple of other people who've been conned by them, along with conversations with some well-regarded folk in the PR world who have provided a fair bit more detail. Which, sadly, I can't go into without revealing who they are (and I don't want to cause them any trouble, given that they're helping us out).
    <space for hire>
  • Still no response to the complaint, and we've raised a PP dispute to try to get some of the money back.

Also, the plot has thickened somewhat with contact from a couple of other people who've been conned by them, along with conversations with some well-regarded folk in the PR world who have provided a fair bit more detail. Which, sadly, I can't go into without revealing who they are (and I don't want to cause them any trouble, given that they're helping us out).
    Use Moneyclaim, request a full refund for breach of contract.