PRS 594 Series Fret Wire?

What's Hot
I'm seeing this described only as "DGT" jumbo wire but with the crown flattened to give a played-in feel, which still leaves in a doubt about what it is actually like.  Can any owners say whether it's it still tall enough to qualify as a proper jumbo wire or is it closer to PRSs standard medium jumbo wire?

(I really wish manufacturers would give fret wire dimensions.  PRS seem to act like its some sort of trade secret).
“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ADPADP Frets: 184
    DGTs use Jescar FW57110, which is the equivalent of Dunlop 6100, so it’s 0.057” or 1.45mm tall and 0.110” or 2.79mm wide. I don’t have the figures for the height of the 594 frets, but they’re not much lower, I’d say.

Standard PRSs use Jescar FW47104, which is slightly taller and wider than Dunlop 6150.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks.  I prefer big fret wire, and have had a couple of DGTs. My guitars with "medium jumbos" tend to end up getting a refret, which is not only a cost but a hassle because I don't live near a tech with a reputation for refrets.  So the difference between DGT type frets and the more standard PRS type is potentially quite significant for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited January 2020
    I'm seeing this described only as "DGT" jumbo wire but with the crown flattened to give a played-in feel, which still leaves in a doubt about what it is actually like.  Can any owners say whether it's it still tall enough to qualify as a proper jumbo wire or is it closer to PRSs standard medium jumbo wire?

(I really wish manufacturers would give fret wire dimensions.  PRS seem to act like its some sort of trade secret).
    This!!!!!

Im fucking sick of the guitar industry pretending it’s not a purchase critical decision. It is a massive one for me.

I’m sick of Gibson not offering at least one guitar (probably the Les Paul modern) with Jumbo wire. You can’t even spec Jumbo wire on a made to measure. Yet when I went to @FelineGuitars to order my T-type. We went over every aspect of the build, including fretwire and even spent a while looking at different side dots inlays. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I am trying to talk myself out of buying a McCarty 594 and all this sexy fret talk is not helping.

The Viv Campbell Les Paul has 6100 wire.  Nice if you want a Super Distortion at the bridge
  • It's the semi hollow that's tempting me.  Wasn't even thinking about PRS until one came up used and I realised it was very well specced for me.  The annoying thing is if I'd had confidence in the fret wire being big enough I'd have bought it but by the time I'd dug around trying to find that out someone else had snapped it up.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22795
    ADP said:
    DGTs use Jescar FW57110, which is the equivalent of Dunlop 6100, so it’s 0.057” or 1.45mm tall and 0.110” or 2.79mm wide. I don’t have the figures for the height of the 594 frets, but they’re not much lower, I’d say.

Standard PRSs use Jescar FW47104, which is slightly taller and wider than Dunlop 6150.
    Good knowledge!  Do you know what they use on the S2s?  I may be wrong, but the frets seem slightly bigger than the frets on the core models.
  • It's the semi hollow that's tempting me.  Wasn't even thinking about PRS until one came up used and I realised it was very well specced for me.  The annoying thing is if I'd had confidence in the fret wire being big enough I'd have bought it but by the time I'd dug around trying to find that out someone else had snapped it up.
    I think I saw that one. Copperhead in Coda?
    I would have gone for it but am trying to have cash in hand before buying this time.

Reidy's have one in Orange Tiger semi, with ebony board, for £2969, listed on eBay with offers
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    edited January 2020
    Yes the same one.  Came out of the blue because for one thing I'd decided I wasn't owning another PRS with birds.  My main gigging band just now is a swing band and a solid bodied PRS with birds just won't look the part whereas I thought I could just about get away with the semi-hollow given the f hole.

I saw the Orange Tiger one.  Don't like the finish as much as the Copperhead and although it seems to be on at a decent price it's obviously still quite a bit more expensive being new.  Also it confusingly looks different in the Ebay pics than in the pics on Reidy's website.  I think on Ebay it looks quite nice, on their own website not so much (in my highly subjective opinion).
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited January 2020
    @Blueingreen ; Agreed. The Copperhead finishes look very nice.
    Peach have a used single cut semi.  Looks nice and maybe more traditional looking than a double cut.
    I'm tempted but am determined to sell something first
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I am trying to talk myself out of buying a McCarty 594 and all this sexy fret talk is not helping.

The Viv Campbell Les Paul has 6100 wire.  Nice if you want a Super Distortion at the bridge
    But they are a CS at £5K. I just want a regular production Les Paul to have a Jumbo wire option. 
  • @Blueingreen ; Agreed. The Copperhead finishes look very nice.
    Peach have a used single cut semi.  Looks nice and maybe more traditional looking than a double cut.
    That Peach single cut is tempting. But I read a Music Radar review of the SC which describes the frets as "Typical ’59-style frets - not too fat, not too tall".  That's knocked my confidence that they are going to be to my taste.  I really don't fancy buying the guitar, finding out it's not what I was hoping for, and having the hassle of a return.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    That Peach single cut is tempting. But I read a Music Radar review of the SC which describes the frets as "Typical ’59-style frets - not too fat, not too tall".  That's knocked my confidence that they are going to be to my taste.  I really don't fancy buying the guitar, finding out it's not what I was hoping for, and having the hassle of a return.

Isn't the simple answer to go and try one in a shop?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:

It would be if I lived anywhere near a shop that had one, but there won't be one within 130 miles at best.
  • crunchman said:

It would be if I lived anywhere near a shop that had one, but there won't be one within 130 miles at best.
    Return flights and a hotel stay for me.

• crunchman said:

I've only ever returned a guitar once (it wasn't staying in tune) and I hate doing it, but if I felt sure enough of a purchase to justify flights and a hotel I'd just buy the guitar and take the risk of returning it if it was a serious disappointment.
  • @Blueingreen Agreed.  For the cost of a postal return, it's way cheaper than the time and travel.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • @Blueingreen Agreed.  For the cost of a postal return, it's way cheaper than the time and travel.
    Plus you have a day or two to assess the guitar, rather than an hour or two in the artificial environment of a shop.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    edited January 2020
    Philly_Q said:
    ADP said:

Good knowledge!  Do you know what they use on the S2s?  I may be wrong, but the frets seem slightly bigger than the frets on the core models.

I'm fairly sure that the S2s use the standard FW47104 fretwire.
  • crunchman said:

I've only ever returned a guitar once (it wasn't staying in tune) and I hate doing it, but if I felt sure enough of a purchase to justify flights and a hotel I'd just buy the guitar and take the risk of returning it if it was a serious disappointment.
    I didn't mean that to sound like I have booked flights to try a guitar.  What I meant was it might be easy to try a range of guitars if you live on the mainland but for lots of us buying without trying is the only option.  I find that trying a guitar only helps to tell you if you don't like it not if you are really going to love it and it sounds good with your amp etc. 
    I find knowing neck profiles and fret size does make success more likely
  • @Blueingreen ;;; Agreed. The Copperhead finishes look very nice.

As a follow up to this thread I ended up buying the single cut at Peach - so thanks bacchanalian for drawing my attention to it!

I should really get round to posting a review.