NPBD One spot to the rescue!

What's Hot
LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
edited January 2020 in FX
I finally got so pissed off with the ridiculous plug on my HX FX that I bought a ISO brick even though I'm only using one additional pedal and my wireless receiver. 

Why in the world Line 6 supply such a stupid plug on such a good bit of kit is beyond me! 

Anyway,  after much research, I went for the Truetone One Spot Pro CS7, just to make sure I have enough current draw left in case I add any other pedals. 

The clever thing with this box is that the total current draw of 1900ish is the only limitation. It will simply supply the draw needed to whichever pedal asks for it. The HXFX needs around 900, as well as an odd sized adaptor and centre negative polarity. With this little gem that was a doddle! 

Take one standard cable, plug in the red polarity switcher, plug in the green line 6 connector, and away you go! All supplied as standard in the box. 

What a brilliant bit of kit! 

The stupid plug can now live in the box until / unless I sell the HX! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10253
    Is it really 900? I thought it was 1.5A?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it really 900? I thought it was 1.5A?
    Yeah, someone did some testing of all the Line 6 stuff, it's on YouTube. Runs easily on this as you can see from my pics. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020
    Is it really 900? I thought it was 1.5A?
    Yeah, someone did some testing of all the Line 6 stuff, it's on YouTube. Runs easily on this as you can see from my pics. 
    Wow that's great. I also saw some test it and it tested 1.1 max, so there might be some fluctuation but still plenty of power for my board. I just bought a Cioks Big John but I'm gonna return it for that. Awesome thanks!   

And you say all the adapters come in the box? 
  • Is it really 900? I thought it was 1.5A?
    Wow that's great. I also saw some test it and it tested 1.1 max, so there might be some fluctuation but still plenty of power for my board. I just bought a Cioks Big John but I'm gonna return it for that. Awesome thanks!   

And you say all the adapters come in the box? 
    Yes, loads of cables in the box, including the Line 6 one and a polarity inverter. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5387
    Worth mentioning that for the HXFX you only need the polarity inverter because the bloody Line6 adapter reverses the polarity to suit all their products that aren't the HXFX. So you're effectively reversing it back to normal.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4720

Well my CS7 broke powering a HX Stomp.  The replacement then broke.  Then the HX Stomp broke.
    Then the HX Stomp came back, still broke.  Now I’ve sent it back again.  While I await that I’m awaiting CS7 #3 direct from Truetone, which was posted 6 weeks ago.

Other than that the CS7 and Line 6 unit have been an excellent pairing.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @menamestom Doesn't sound like it...What's the cause of all these faults? 
    @menamestom Doesn't sound like it...What's the cause of all these faults? 
    Not sure, probably just bad luck.  Truetone are really good though, after the failed attempt of the UK distributer to fix they we’re very much like don’t worry we will sort it.  
    The CS7 I have still works, but the high current outlets are dead, which is what I need to power the Stomp.

The Stomp I have just sent back cuts out and resets randomly.  To be fair I’ve not heard of any others doing this so it probably is just look if the draw.  

It’s gone on months now so really disrupted my workflow, but Andertons are doing what they can and are good to deal with so I’ll just have to ride it out.

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Maybe the Stomp needs a lot of power on start up, like a spike, before it then runs normally at 900ma? 
    edited January 2020
    Yea that is bad luck. I had 4 replacement Kemper Stages so I feel your pain. It might be easier for you to invoke your consumer rights and cancel the sale if its within 6 months of purchasing. 

I have done the swap and it'll arrive Tuesday. The shop assistant felt that it might make the outputs not isolated if it's drawing from other outputs. @Legionreturns are you finding that it's noisy at all? 
  • It's actually quieter than the Line 6 plug so far! 

It's actually quieter than the Line 6 plug so far! 
    Ah okay great. Line 6 say it adds some noise on their FAQ. I also bought a doubler just in case. 
  • It's actually quieter than the Line 6 plug so far! 
    Ah okay great. Line 6 say it adds some noise on their FAQ. I also bought a doubler just in case. 
    Truetone talk about digital isolation rather than transistors in a box. Apparently this means you get absolute isolation.

It sounds like pseudo science marketing bollocks to me, but as I don't use a lot of pedals anyway the only hums I've had in the past have been from the HXFX itself. Those noises appear to be gone now. 

It's actually quieter than the Line 6 plug so far! 
    Truetone talk about digital isolation rather than transistors in a box. Apparently this means you get absolute isolation.

It sounds like pseudo science marketing bollocks to me, but as I don't use a lot of pedals anyway the only hums I've had in the past have been from the HXFX itself. Those noises appear to be gone now. 
    Okay great. I'll have it Tuesday! 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited January 2020
    It really does sound like you’ve broken the power supply by trying to draw too much current, and as a result damaged the stomp too.  You’re lucky they are getting repaired/replaced, if I were you I wouldn’t try the combination again 
  • John_A said:
    It really does sound like you’ve broken the power supply by trying to draw too much current, and as a result damaged the stomp too.  You’re lucky they are getting repaired/replaced, if I were you I wouldn’t try the combination again 
    I guess that would depend what else is being powered alongside the stomp? 

John_A said:
    Not the case. The stomp takes about 1200ma on startup I believe.  I went through this with Truetone before buying the CS7 and they absolutely back up the claim it powers the unit with ease.  I have a Flint also which is the only other digital pedal.  So 1450ma, call it 1500 absolute max with a few analog pedals.

Saying that I’m sure the HX Stomp had a few ‘moments’ with it’s own supply.  I can’t recall the full timeline as things got progressively worse, at first they could be brushed iff as sporadic hiccups. 

I think I’ve been quite diligent with my process here.
    Checked that people had successfully powered the Stomp with the CS7, before buying either.  Checking that was the case on Line 6’s own forums.
    Then emailing Truetone and asking them if they supported the powering of the HX stomp with the CS7, (which they do), prior to even buying it.

I originally used the stomp with it’s own supply, as I had an ISO 5 that didn’t have enough juice for the stomp.  The DC brick that came with the Stomp kept coming apart (the uk push on part kept falling off) so I was desperate to integrate it into a single pedalboard power supply.  The PSU that comes with the Stomp is impractical and in this day an age unprofessional.  Rock up to a gig and see if it even fits in the space provided!

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283

Anyway,  after much research, I went for the Truetone One Spot Pro CS7, just to make sure I have enough current draw left in case I add any other pedals. 

The clever thing with this box is that the total current draw of 1900ish is the only limitation. It will simply supply the draw needed to whichever pedal asks for it. 

Just on this specific point: any power supply will do this: i.e. "simply supply the draw needed to whichever pedal asks for it". Current-wise all you need worry about is ensuring that your pedals' total current requirement doesn't exceed the current rating of the supply. 

(It's not the same with voltage, by the way - here you do need to ensure that the voltage required is the same as the voltage supplied.)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3400
    Line 6 stuff can be quite current heavy and I think it may draw a little more on start up. I've see some posts mention that it draws 1-1.2A and 'up to 2A' at start up? But then I've also seen others where people are powering it quite happily on 2 x 500mA outputs. Truetone do a power meter for around £30, which would answer the question for you.

Also - the "one-spot" referred to in the Line 6 FAQ is the wall wart plug (NW1CP2-US) so not surprising that it adds a little noise compared to Strymon Zuma or Pedal Power. The one spot pros like the CS6, 7 and 12 are a totally different animal.

I've got a Truetone CS6 (1600mA) powering everything on my board, with no issues (see complicated pic below)

John_A said:
    Surely it'll only be able to draw what it's able to and anything else just won't get powered? I don't see how that would break the power supply or the stomp unless I'm missing something?