Trackball mouse for DAW usage.

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited January 2020 in Studio & Recording
https://tronicsgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Kensington-Expert-Mouse-Optical-Wired-USB-Trackball-for-PC-or-Mac-K64325-NEW-0.jpg

I bought one of these in a sale about 18 months ago, then shoved it in the cupboard and promptly forgot about it.

Fast forward to this weekend and I was getting a little twinge in my wrist, so I finally dug the thing out. Man, what a difference it makes! You can set 6 mouse actions, so I can easily flick from the mixer & arrange windows, and I've also setup a save and undo button. The cursor zips across the screen with the right acceleration settings, and I have fine control over the mixer and VST plugins with the trackball and scroll ring. Best of all it removes a lot of stress from the wrist. It takes a bit of getting used to, but I think this is going to be a game changer for me.

Highly recommended if you are currently using a bog standard mouse and/or laptop trackpad.
If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Good that it works for you but I hate them, they are so imprecise.
    I use a Logitech MX Master 2 mouse plus an Apple Trackpad..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited January 2020
    octatonic said:
    It actually surprised me as I wasn't expecting to be able to make such fine EQ adjustments with it, and it's great on the the DIVA vst synth which has tons of controls that you can tweak. Besides normal single handed operation, I have been experimenting by using it with two hands, one to press the buttons, and then using the fingers of the other hand to slowly move the ball in small precise steps. The ball is quite big, and it's probably the reason why it is doing a good job. I've also got some faders and endless rotary knobs too, so it's another useful option, and of course it's easy on the wrist. I get it that trackballs are a bit marmitey and it's my first one, so I'm going to give it a go and see what happens, but so far so good.  
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I use a logitech trackman marble for everything. When I've got a score to write in Sibelius I use a separate number pad with my left hand and the trackman marble with my right. It's the most efficient way I've found. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    octatonic said:

I've got one of those, good arent' they?

I've got a trackpad too, but don't seem to get on with it as well, but then I'd say that is possibly down to my lack of familiarity with/warmth towards Mac OS full stop.

• How far do you move your mouse?

I have mine setup so I can move all the way from one side of my dual monitor setup to the other without moving my wrist.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Snap said:
    octatonic said:

I've got a trackpad too, but don't seem to get on with it as well, but then I'd say that is possibly down to my lack of familiarity with/warmth towards Mac OS full stop.

I use the trackpad for switching apps, pinch to zoom, swipe up for all apps.
    I just wish Apple did a bluetooth extender for it- because they don't means the Mac has to be in the same room, when ideally I'd like it to be in a machine room.
    edited January 2020
    octatonic said:
    Snap said:
    octatonic said:

I use the trackpad for switching apps, pinch to zoomed, swipe up for all apps.
    I just wish Apple did a bluetooth extender for it- because they don't means the Mac has to be in the same room, when ideally I'd like it to be in a machine room.
    How do you control the knobs and faders of your VST and DAW software?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    Freebird said:

How do you control the knobs and faders of your VST and DAW software?
    I use my mouse/pointer. I've got a Komplete A61, but I can't get it to control anything at the moment, and it's winding me up. I have a Novation Impulse 61 which should be able to do it, but won't. I've also got a Novation Launchkey Mini Mk III which I have go to sort of half control stuff. 

there is a common denominator in all of the above: me. I am obviously lacking!!

Ages ago I installed automap which I hoped would link the IMpulse to everything. Turns out it doesn't work in Sonar and I succeeded in jiggering everything up completely. It made a copy of all my VSTs, the copies being shelled for automap. What an arse.
  • sparkspark Frets: 22
    I have the same one but the wireless one, I love the fact you can customize different actions with the same combination to different apps. I sold my mouse few months ago, no regrets at all.
    edited February 2020
    spark said:
    I have the same one but the wireless one, I love the fact you can customize different actions with the same combination to different apps. I sold my mouse few months ago, no regrets at all.
    Aye, I am a few weeks further in and the big scroll wheel is very useful for mouse-over adjustments. I also like to use it two-handed when I want fine control over the trackball, with a dedicated hand performing the mouse clicks. All in all a great bit of kit if you can get it at the right price, and it complements the old Faderport in Reaper very well, due to the customized firmware.