Speaker recommendations 68 Vibrolux

What's Hot
keirkeir Frets: 137
Recently gone back to rehearsing with my band and decided to use my 68 Custom Vibrolux. Tried it out at home with my board and volume on about 2 and it sounded pretty good with the stock Celestion Ten 30s but when we got in the rehearsal room it ran out of headroom fast and everything turned to mush. 

In the past I’ve had a pair of Celestion Gold 10s in there which made the amp much louder, however I also have an AC30 with blues and the Golds made both amps sound quite similar. 

I would like the Vibrolux to have more american sounding speakers do give me a distinctly different flavour than the Vox

Anyone got any recommendations please?
Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited January 2020
    Jensen  p10q would be the obvious choice .

The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Jensen C10Qs. They're bigger-sounding and more 'American' than the P10s or the Rs, and more different from the Blues.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• keirkeir Frets: 137
    Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve had a quick look at the Jensons and they all seem to be about 95db. I’m not sure they would provide the increased headroom needed from the Ten 30s. I think I probably need 97db+
    Good deals with: handsomerick, majorscale, gassage, sticker, smudge_lad, anglian, edinfield99, thewiddler, thomfripp, notonlybutalso, JDE, chebellanga
    keir said:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve had a quick look at the Jensons and they all seem to be about 95db. I’m not sure they would provide the increased headroom needed from the Ten 30s. I think I probably need 97db+
    In that case, Eminence Legend 1058.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, I’m surprised by your comment about the Ten 30s - I’ve never experienced that 
    Actually, I’m surprised by your comment about the Ten 30s - I’ve never experienced that 
    Interesting. I had to have the custom channel on 5 to match the rest of the band and I had no headroom at all. I was quite surprised actually, I wonder if there’s an issue with the amp. What do you have your volume set at? 
    Just had a look at the amp and looks like the speakers may have been wired incorrectly. The wire coming from the speaker jack has a red and black, would the red be positive?
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    keir said:
    Actually, I’m surprised by your comment about the Ten 30s - I’ve never experienced that 
    Interesting. I had to have the custom channel on 5 to match the rest of the band and I had no headroom at all. I was quite surprised actually, I wonder if there’s an issue with the amp. What do you have your volume set at? 

use the other, cleaner channel 
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1049
    edited January 2020
    My volume is usually on 5-6 - Custom channel, dead clean, bright switch off, treble 6, bass 3 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    edited January 2020
    keir said:
    Just had a look at the amp and looks like the speakers may have been wired incorrectly. The wire coming from the speaker jack has a red and black, would the red be positive?

Shouldn't make any difference as long as you keep the speakers in phase.  If you connect the red to the + on one or both speakers (depending on whether you are wiring series or parallel) and the black to the - on the other, then you should be fine (in series you'd take a wire between the - and the + of the speakers).

You can check phase with a battery.  just apply a small current for a second and see which way the speaker cone moves (in or out).  Both should move the same way when connected the same.

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2290
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    keir said:
    In that case, Eminence Legend 1058.
    This all the way. I recently put one in my '68 Custom Princeton Reverb - when the amp starts breaking up, it does so much more sweetly, whereas the OEM Celestion would go all raggedy. I liked it so much I got a 1258 for my 5E3 clone.

You can get a pack of two 1058s at Lean Business.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 321
    I think the Eminence 1028k would be a great match - 97.4db and 35 watts, Perfect for a Vibrolux!
    strat84 said:
    I think the Eminence 1028k would be a great match - 97.4db and 35 watts, Perfect for a Vibrolux!
    Be careful with the sensitivity figures - Eminence can be a little optimistic about theirs compared to similar Celestions, by around a couple of dB. I like the 1028, but it's quite soft and 'vintage' sounding - the 1058 is punchier and tighter, as well as slightly louder.

• strat84strat84 Frets: 321
    ICBM said:
    strat84 said:
    Be careful with the sensitivity figures - Eminence can be a little optimistic about theirs compared to similar Celestions, by around a couple of dB. I like the 1028, but it's quite soft and 'vintage' sounding - the 1058 is punchier and tighter, as well as slightly louder.
     Yes definitely agree the 1058 is punchier and louder! I had a mix of the two in a Super Reverb but didnt need the added punch/volume with that amp so ended up with 4 1028ks.

Maybe 1 of each in a VR would be a good shout? As long as the ceramic didnt overpower the alnico too much
  • EmielEmiel Frets: 214
    edited January 2020
    I’d definitely get this one. Had it in a Princeton Reverb. A fantastic speaker, plenty loud for your amp. Look up the reviews.

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=GA10_SC64
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    WGS smooth cone G10C/S.  Link to WGS site: https://wgsusa.com/g10cs
    A perfect 10 (and a perfect 12 for that matter...). With Fender amps, taking the very highest of the high end off is a revelation...
    Works perfectly in Princetons and any Fender running stock 10" speakers.
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I have an Emi Copperhead I’m selling - originally purchased for a Vibrolux for exactly the reasons you describe...
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462

I'd go WGS.

I've got a WGS G10 Veteran in my Princeton.  It's only listed as 95dB, but it's louder (and significantly better sounding) than the stock Celestion was.  It's only rated at 20W though.  A pair of them in a 35W amp may be a bit dicey if you run it hard.

I'd look at the one that @dcg suggested.