Bourgeois Guitars

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    They vary.  I had an OMC - beautiful sweet tone...but no projection. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ This is very true, I've played some that I thought would be absolute canons and then turned out to be almost whisper quiet. Another thing to consider is what you are going to play on it so do you want a modern, brighter tone or something warmer/softer more vintage. Play as many as you can and you'll start getting used to the 'house sound' of each of these builders. I had a Collings OM2H for years that I loved for a while then started to find it a bit 'hard' sounding then finally decided the nut width was too narrow. Don't discount nut widths too - what feels okay in a shop for 30 mins may become a real hassle down the line. Find out the nut width before you start playing something then decide if it's right, too narrow or too wide
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ This is very true, I've played some that I thought would be absolute canons and then turned out to be almost whisper quiet. Another thing to consider is what you are going to play on it so do you want a modern, brighter tone or something warmer/softer more vintage. Play as many as you can and you'll start getting used to the 'house sound' of each of these builders. I had a Collings OM2H for years that I loved for a while then started to find it a bit 'hard' sounding then finally decided the nut width was too narrow. Don't discount nut widths too - what feels okay in a shop for 30 mins may become a real hassle down the line. Find out the nut width before you start playing something then decide if it's right, too narrow or too wide
    My Maton is 44mm nut and I think any less would be really hard to play. 

45mm I would think will be easier still.

• dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    edited January 2020
    M
  • I did play a Madagascan RW/Adi OM custom which was absolutely superb, but as many have commented some miss the mark for me. Unfortunately I couldnt justify £6k at the time. I think like any brand/luthier it’s just finding the right one for you. I would echo @stuartryanmusic go used and play as many as you can. If you’re happy to spend 7k then it’s worth wasting a few trips on the motorway for a second hand bargain.
  • tomajohatomajoha Frets: 906
    I had a slope D, their version of a J45. It was stiff and dull. If was looking at this end of the market my money would go on a Santa Cruz - sublime guitars
  • I did play a Madagascan RW/Adi OM custom which was absolutely superb, but as many have commented some miss the mark for me. Unfortunately I couldnt justify £6k at the time. I think like any brand/luthier it’s just finding the right one for you. I would echo @stuartryanmusic go used and play as many as you can. If you’re happy to spend 7k then it’s worth wasting a few trips on the motorway for a second hand bargain.

Was that the one which was in Ivor Mairant's?

I played it as well.

A majestic instrument if ever. 

Was that the one which was in Ivor Mairant's?

I played it as well.

A majestic instrument if ever. 
    It was in Guitarguitar in Epsom probably 3-4 years ago. I often think about that one but there really was no way of getting that kind of money together at the time.

I think there may have been a little run of them about because I haven’t seen any since. It also had Koa binding which was very classy.