Midi Keyboard causing MBP to MELT?? So confused....

What's Hot
So.... I have a Roland A88 midi keyboard and when I attach it to my MacBook Pro and strike any key it causes the laptop to go straight to its top boost frequency and stay there. This obviously causes a lot of heat and fan spin. The laptop will only stop boosting and return to idle when I disconnect the USB cable attaching the keyboard

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers

I have factory reset the keyboard

I have tried a Roland A49 which shares the same driver as the A88 and this midi controller does not cause the same behaviour 

I have tried different USB cables, hubs and ports on the MBP itself

Yes, I did think I was going mad

No, I cant say for sure it wasn't displaying some of the same behaviour in 10.15.1 or 10.14- im pretty sure it wasn't but im really starting to doubt myself now

Ive opened a ticket with Roland, does this sound like a driver problem? This isnt right is it? Basically I just want someone to tell me im not going mad :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    What happens if you put a powered USB hub between the keyboard and the Mac?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Still the same :( bet you Chopin never had these problems
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Still the same :( bet you Chopin never had these problems
    No but he was busy dying of tuberculosis.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And yes that is a shite driver issue.
  • octatonic said:
    And yes that is a shite driver issue.
    Any recommendations for an 88 key midi controller that won’t melt my poor MacBook? I really liked the key bed on the Roland, any experience with the Komplete Kontrol 88?
    I actually have an M-audio keystation 88 that I am selling.
    No driver required, it is class compliant.
    I prefer full hammer action, hence selling it.
    PM if interested.
  • Little update to my own thread:

After a bit of digging I have found a few forum posts dating back several years now describing this same behaviour. Ive owned this keyboard since November 2018 and I am now wondering if a lot of the high thermals on my laptop have been caused by it

However, they definitely got worse with 10.15.2

I have taken up a customer service ticket with Roland although Im not holding out much hope as the reports seem to go back nearly 6 years- few that they are

In the meantime I guess ill have to go back to "council midi" and actually hook up a proper cable.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to apologise to my 2018 MacBook Pro, maybe you aren't as big a POS as I have been telling you that you are but you still need a physical escape key and your cursor arrows are dumb
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18777
    Not sure about your cursor arrow issue. There are free third party solutions such as Mousecape, but I can't swear to their effectiveness or stability.
    Regarding the physical escape key, why don't you try remapping the esc. function to a physical key?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207358
    Cheers.
  • Not sure about your cursor arrow issue. There are free third party solutions such as Mousecape, but I can't swear to their effectiveness or stability.
    Regarding the physical escape key, why don't you try remapping the esc. function to a physical key?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207358
    Cheers.
    Already have it mapped to the § key but it still annoys me!! 

You know how the cursor keys on the 16-18 MBP are kind of squared off? They have reverted back in the 16inch MBP to an asymmetrical layout though. To be fair most of the time im using a bluetooth keyboard anyway
  • Quick update: A lovely chap from Roland actually got back to me pretty quickly, said he remembered there being an issue like this a while back and asked me to send a system report so he can send it to Japan. Doubt anything will come form it but top marks for effort