Anyone buy from usedguitars.co.uk?

What's Hot
Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
https://www.usedguitars.co.uk/

I found this site via google about a year ago and tried to buy a guitar, managed all the details with the seller, but after payment he said there were problems with the delivery and it will be done soon, then he said he is in a wheelchair and can't get to the post office, etc.....I managed to reverse the payment and cancel the sale, he had some other guy call me, who said he was the delivery driver and will need £20 to bring the guitar to me, and then I can finalise everything with the original seller...I didn't respond anymore, and apologised although he tried to sell me the guitar again.

Fast forward to a year later, to today and I found another guitar I like but when I enquired about it on the site, I got a message from the same guy as a year before. Then the seller contacted me, told me not to worry he will get the guitar to me, and when do I need it buy. I asked to try it out, but he says he is in the States. When I told him about my experience previously he told me not to worry, he is registered in a bank in the US, and he won't screw me over because his bank has his address...

I thought technology would make guitar buying easier, but it's actually proved really hard, as scammers have easier way of getting their money.

If anyone has any experience with this site, please share, otherwise be careful

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 641
    edited January 2020
    I think it's run by Richard of Richard's Guitars in Stratford fame. He seems like a guy who would help out in a situation like you've described, and has a live chat on his other website https://rguitars.co.uk/
  • steersteer Frets: 1199
    That is good to know. I stumbled across that website a few months ago, but it sounds like (as with other online sites) people should proceed with caution. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • i dont have any experience of that site so cant comment whether they are ok or not but the shenanigans you describe would put me off using them. and besides, there doesnt seem to be anything special that isnt easily available elsewhere. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5452
    I believe it is Richard’s site but it is essentially just a classifieds marketplace so any idiot or scammer can place an ad...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 329
    edited January 2020
    I did research into it and called richardsguitars. The person had no idea about it, but he was not Richard, and told me he was away today. They do seem like legitimate people, but I was just surprised to get a reply from the same guy that I had problems with. 
     I checked his profile and he is not listed as selling the guitar I was asking about! He still has only the guitar I tried to buy a year ago for sale. Perhaps it's one of those craiglist deals, I asked him how he intends to get the guitar to me and how he intends me to pay for it. Doesn't have a PayPal account and has never used it before. I guess that's that!
    It was a Gibson Les Paul Custom with EMG pickups for under £2000...

• Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    The site doesn't look too clever in all honestly. Appreciate all new things need to start somewhere but it's not somewhere I'd look if I was buying used when there are many more reliable, secure and established options. Sign-up, post ads - no long user history, no customer service team, no distance seller regs etc. If it goes tits-up you're on your own. The other options (eBay/Reverb/Gumtree) aren't always much better but they are a least a bit better.

Either buy second-hand from a shop - all of the UK big players have a second-hand section of their websites with a lot of gear at often reasonable prices (with the protection of buying from a shop), or use eBay/Reverb/Gumtree but play it safe i.e. go pick it up if at all possible and pay on collection. It's fine buying stuff online but shop smart and remember that if it sounds to good to be true it almost certainly will be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, my best experiences of buying guitars have been on this site!
  • I have a guitar listed on there atm, as well as Gumtree and here in the forum. I received a message on usedguitars.co.uk the other day saying "I am interested in your ad, please send further details and an asking price." The price and relevant info is all on the listing, so I asked if there were anything else they wanted to know and they haven't responded. Strange, albeit not as concerning as your experience - glad you got your money back.

I wonder if the relative small scale compared to Gumtree and the lack of a community/forum like there is here makes it more appealing for scammers? Shame if that is the case. I live near to Richard's shop, and I've bought from him before - he's a decent guy, for whatever it's worth.
    I've had that with a few listings on gumtree, they ask for more info and the price although most of it is listed. If they do reply, they will usually say something like they're buying this for someone overseas, usually a friend or a relative.

I hope I didn't imply that Richard from the guitar shop has anything to do with that. I don't know him, but I've spoken to the shop and they sound real polite and I would have no issues buying from them. What I suppose happened is that eventually some scammers saw some opportunities, without any knowledge from the shop, nor any ability to do anything about it. Best to just follow the usual advice about being careful, and checking the details, backing out when you have a doubting feeling. 

As mentioned, it was always easiest on here, and never any scams, just guitar players buying and selling gear

• Ah, not had that before, cheers for the info.

Not at all, I get what you mean, totally! I'd agree with your theory - thank god for buyer protection services I guess :o 

+1 to that, having an established community makes buying/selling a lot safer; certainly feels that way, at least.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10276
    Personally wouldn't bother with it.