Why didn't anyone warn me about Squier J Mascis??

What's Hot
JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
I ordered one on a whim the other day, first day with it today and I'm blown away by this thing!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2B9VPWUz8
2reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited February 2020
    That was lovely, John. Sounds beautiful. I succumbed late last night. A used one popped up, which I bought purely off the back of all the reviews. And listening to yours, I'm glad I did.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11758
    Squiers seem to be something of a bargain across the range.

My Classic Vibe Tele Custom is lovely, as is my VM Jazzmaster.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    further to add...

I'm sure everyone knows, but just in case someone slipped through the net. The fingerboard on these is Rosewood up until 2018, where they changed it to Laurel. So IMO anything pre 2018 is the one to look out for.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    @MikeS I think it's a good guitar at any price. How much did you spend if you don't mind me asking?
    edited February 2020
    It's got the wrong tremolo arm on it though, so I'll need to source one, as that'll annoy me. 3

@MikeS great price the squier stuff seems to hold its value
  • Amazing guitars. The necks on them are glorious. 
  • I’ve been on the lookout for a rosewood one with no joy - that’s a good price!
    here's a 'review' with not much detail but thoughts, a sausage dog and some dodgy playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    It's a J.Mascis, aren't you supposed to be making all sorts of buzzing and whizzing noises on it? 

Joking aside, lovely playing. 

I am sorely tempted by one of those.

Never heard a bad word about them. 
  • MikeS said:
    further to add...

I'm sure everyone knows, but just in case someone slipped through the net. The fingerboard on these is Rosewood up until 2018, where they changed it to Laurel. So IMO anything pre 2018 is the one to look out for.
    I picked one up new recently. Not sure what year it is or what fretboard wood it is, but it feels and sounds great.
    As I mentioned on other threads, I have a roller bridge and fender trem unit, but not sure whether I need to install them. It plays great as it is.
  • MikeS said:
    further to add...

I picked one up new recently. Not sure what year it is or what fretboard wood it is, but it feels and sounds great.
    As I mentioned on other threads, I have a roller bridge and fender trem unit, but not sure whether I need to install them. It plays great as it is.
    try herehttps://www.guitarinsite.nl/serienummers-squier_eng.php it should tell you what year your guitar  was made.

my j mascis is a 2019 so no rosewood fingerboard for me but tbh am not bothered as i love my guitar
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

@racefaceec90 yeh..it kinda looks the same as rosewood to me...so
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Lovely playing John
    @NelsonP looks beautiful!
    @king85 ah thanks! If you like that, hopefully there might be a few other bits and pieces over on Youtube that you might like...I do appreciate anyone who takes the time to watch and subscribe!  ;)
  • I was just thinking yesterday that I haven’t bought an electric since 2015, and I had been eyeing something with P90’s.... I also point blank refuse to pay big bucks for an electric ever again (last purchase was an R8, worth it, but still...) and had been eyeing one of those Rivolta Combinata’s but I think I’ll have to give one of these a spin first
  • Lovely that. Subbed. :)
    @Bron_Yr_Aur thanks so much! I've had feedback from one person so far that they didn't get on with their j mascis - wonder if anyone else got a dodgy one?
  • Just gave you a sub too. You should listen to some Dinosaur Jr though, they're great. 

On the topic of dodgy jmjms.. I've owned two and one is staying forever, the other went pretty quick. Neither were dodgy, both were made to a great standard for the price but one had a steeper neck pocket angle that really changed how it felt compared to my main (black refin). 

Here's some pics to illustrate. Doesn't look like much, but the difference felt huge for me after so long playing my main one. 

Probably wouldn't make any difference to people who hadn't played one before but it meant the white one didn't stay long at all. 

Necks on both were exactly the same, brilliant.