Acoustic saddle shim question

I need to slightly shim my Yamaha’s saddle. It’s only the high E that’s too low but am I best putting a single shim all the way across rather than a tiny strip of wood/plastic under offending string section? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited January 2020
    In practice if you make it perhaps 10mm wide and taper the one end you shouldn't hear any difference. Tone purists wont sleep at night though. 
    If you want to improve intonation as well then a new saddle is easier to make from a blank than you may think. I just used a thicknessed bone blank, sandpaper and some basic needle files. 
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    I may buy a saddle and sand it down at some point. It’s a faff experimenting with shims as I have to remove strings to get the saddle out
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    If it's only a small shim I would probably just do it the full length, because that will guarantee the saddle is sitting fully on it, and you won't notice the extra height on the low strings really.

If that doesn't quite hold true, I would laminate a shim onto the bottom of the saddle with superglue, then file it away towards the bass end. That will produce a better taper and a truly flat saddle bottom.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I’m tempted by a simple strip of old credit card type plastic. Right height (if not for purists.) Would a match’s wood be any better? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    This is probably a controversial opinion, but I think that unless you use something really daft like rubber, it isn't going to make any noticeable difference. Once it's under the compression of about a hundred pounds of string tension then pretty much any material will transmit vibration effectively.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I’ll raise a glass to that!