Reverb ?

TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
edited January 2020 in Other Instruments
I`m not sure if i`m in the right neck of the woods with this, but I need a bit of help with a reverb unit.
I treated me to a Lexicon MX200 reverb and it sounds great, --- when I can hear it. I`ve got it going through a send / return box, so I can turn it off and on, but when I do turn it on, my guitar volume drops by at least half. I do have a trusty old EHX LPB1, which kicks it back to audible levels, but it means sodding about with two pedals. Am I missing something  ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    Is there a level switch on the back? Maybe labelled +4dB/-10dB? If so try switching to the other setting.
  • TamDBTamDB Frets: 6
    Thanks for the reply. It`s got spdif and USB connections on the back, but nothing as helpfull as a volume boosty type thing, maybe it`s an older model ?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    edited January 2020
    There are several places where the volume might be attenuating (download the manual if you haven't done so already) ...

Input Level pot on the front left of the front panel (remember, if bypassed via the send/retun box your signal is effectively unattenuated so you will need to make sure the input level is as high as possible without clipping - the manual states it is fine to have the level LEDs peak briefly in the red on your very highest signals)

Output Level accessed via entering System Mode (press and hold bypass for 2 seconds - again read the manual for details)

Possibly even the inbuilt Compressor (front panel button, or entering System Mode for Global Compression)

At a guess, maybe your output level has been turned down?

I have an MPX200 (all be it used in a mixing desk auxilliary loop) and agree it's a great sounding unit. I've had no level issues used in this way and, truth be told, I've never had to delve into the hidden inner parameters too much myself)

If you can't find a manual download online I could email you the pdf. It should be available pretty easily though - that's how I got hold of the pdf manual. The unit itself was a freebie gift (not bad for nothing!)

[edit] Sorry, after writing all that I see yours is an MX200 :/
    Thanks guys, I do have a manual (on line), but i`m pretty hopeless with that kind of thing, (especially at 1am), so i`ll have a go at the various sugestions above, when I drag myself into the daylight later.
    Cheers, Tam.   :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    What is this send/return box of which you speak?

Plenty of opportunities for signal level mismatches in both directions. 

To what are the processor and send/return box connected? The usual place would be the Aux/Effects sockets of a mixing console.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    edited January 2020
    It`s a simple, home built send / return box to emulate a send / return loop you find built in to many amps,except that it has a footswitch on it so I can use it to switch the reverb on and off, which it does very well, but when I switch the reverb on, my volume drops by about half.
    I got home a bit late tonight, so i`m going to have a go at what all of these fine gents are sugesting tomorrow.
    Even I am not fully sure what is connected to what round the back of this pile of stuff, but there is certainly no aux / effects sockets, (or anytiing else usefull like that involved), so i`m going to have to investigate fully when sober tomorrow  .
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    If the reverb sound is quieter but clean, you've probably got a level setting too low in the unit. If it's quieter and distorted, the loop level is too high for the unit and is overdriving it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks to you all, I think i`ve got it sorted now.
    Cheers, Tam.