5F1 build with a 12" speaker?

For a long time now i've been hankering after a Champ or similar, and being as i like to get stuck in and build stuff i thought i would buy a kit and put one together myself. At the same time i've got a Blackstar HT5 combo (with the 12" speaker) that has been a pain in the arse repeatedly and i never really like the sound of it anyway. Ive had to replace 3 pots on it, something else that i cant remember and last time i used it wasn't working again... 

So my cunning plan is to put together a 5f1 circuit and transplant it into the Blackstar. 
How does the 5F1 circuit sound with a 12" speaker? I'm thinking maybe use a Greenback. 

As far as the build goes, i can solder and i've spent a fair bit of time lately reading how amps work, and i've got a good basic understanding now of what the various components do in that circuit. For a chassis i think i'm going to have make one up as copy of the Blackstar one, cant really think of a way to repurpose it, unless anyone knows different? 

So yeah, thats it really. Thought i would make a thread just sounding out my idea, and if it gets that far, (and people are interested) i'll do a build log - God knows i'll need all the advice i can get! lol 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72668
    A 5F1 sounds fantastic into a 12" - that's what quite a few small makes do nowadays, with a 5E3 Deluxe-size cabinet. I think it's a vast improvement over the original 8", although some people have differing opinions...

It may not be quite as straightforward as you think if you were planning to re-use the transformers though - the HT5 is actually a push-pull, whereas the 5F1 is single-ended - so you'll need a new output transformer.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    Cheers ICBM
    That's what i was hoping to hear :)

No plans to use the HT5 transformers, or any other electrical components - Current thinking is get a kit from somewhere like Modulus, that way i'll have everything i need in one fell swoop. 
    nick79 said:

No plans to use the HT5 transformers, or any other electrical components - Current thinking is get a kit from somewhere like Modulus, that way i'll have everything i need in one fell swoop. 
    There's also a valve rectifier in the 5F1, which will need an extra hole in the chassis - but to be honest, I would probably not bother. If you use a couple of resistors (probably 100 ohm) in the HT feeds to a solid-state rectifier you'll get close enough given that the current draw of a single-ended amp doesn't vary that much so there isn't much 'sag' as such.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Go for it.  If you can get hold of a copy of aspen pittmans tube amp book it will give you more than enough build and layout info to make an excellent 5F1 and lots of other amps besides  - the prints of the fender amp layouts are superb.  I built my first few valve amps using info from that book.   The champ into a low efficiency 12” speaker , cranked, is an experienced al, guitarists should have....
    take care and good luck with it.  

A Champ into a high efficiency 12” - or better still an old Marshall 4x12” wired for 4 ohms - and cranked is even more an experience all guitarists should have! Absolutely epic, and hard to believe it’s only 5W...

• LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3905
    Celestion Blue. Done
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7802
    edited January 2020
    Lebarque said:
    Celestion Blue. Done
    I'd do this (plus add a negative feedback switch) however you'd need the beefier classictone champ OT as you cant find a blue in 4ohms. 

I recently put my silverface champ into a 12" and ended up with a decent old 4 ohm Fane "blue". But If I had to do over from scratch I'd get the biggest classictone OT to be able to use a wider range of speakers.

You can repurpose the current chassis with some work. Add a new alu sheet across the old faceplate to cover the holes etc. 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    Lebarque said:
    Celestion Blue. Done
    I'd do this (plus add a negative feedback switch) however you'd need the beefier classictone champ OT as you cant find a blue in 4ohms. 

I recently put my silverface champ into a 12" and ended up with a decent old 4 ohm Fane "blue". But If I had to do over from scratch I'd get the biggest classictone OT to be able to use a wider range of speakers.

You can repurpose the current chassis with some work. Add a new alu sheet across the old faceplate to cover the holes etc. 

Are Classictone transformers available in the UK or are you paying shipping and import tax from the US?
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I find my Champ clone has quite a lot of bass and would use an EQ in front of the amp, or perhaps even include a bass cut pot in your build, if going with a 12" speaker. That said, I usually dial down bass on almost every amp or hifi I touch. 

Lebarque said:
    Celestion Blue. Done

Are Classictone transformers available in the UK or are you paying shipping and import tax from the US?
    You'd need to pay duties etc or have a look at this:

https://modulusamplification.com/Champ-5F1-Style-Output-Transformer-8ohm-Output-P5282193.aspx
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    The small hammonds also work pretty well in champ circuits 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    Excellent, cheers guys. I think im going to use the original chassis, making a new one would be a bit beyond me. I'll just modify it to suit. 
    Next step is get in touch with Modulus and get some parts ordered!