Store websites: the good and the bad

What's Hot
MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
edited January 2020 in Guitar
Been drooling over the figured maple tops of Gibson Les Paul Standards on traders websites, well the ones that include photos and weight of individual guitars. It seems to me more Uk sites are upping their game and are now doing this. They've been doing it in the US for a while, Wildwood and Sweetwater are excellent for it.

The Good: In the UK, I see Peach, Richtone and Andertons have the weight and very good quality photographs.
Guitar Guitar and Reidys have the odd photo and no weights.

The Bad: Gak, PMT, Dawsons etc are poor websites with just a stock photo.

Peach Guitars for me have the best website by a mile.

I know some stores might send you a photo and details if you ask, but for guitars, say over 1k, surely this should now be done as a matter of course if your serious about online trading? Or is it an onerous task for smaller traders and not worth doing? I for one, as someone who lives hours from a decent store, appreciate it greatly. Some of the websites need some serious improvement!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    Coda has weights in photos on "boutique" stuff - i.e. one-offs that they can't immediately replace with a like-for-like (but this includes mass-mfrs like Gibson, but maybe not every Fender, for example).

World Guitars has consistent photos and weights on every listing.

Guitar Village occasionally does weights, but often lacks "extra" pictures other than front & back. Depends on the value of the item though.

Guitars4You has weights in and amongst a far more detailed write-up on every guitar than is on just about any other website... 

Andertons does not have weights on everything - only some, it feels a bit random.

Agree that it's a good thing to know. If you are going to distance-buy I'd rather have an idea if it's gonna be a boat anchor before plunking in the CC details... certainly the chances of me sending something back if there are absolutely NO surprises are much, much lower.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I should think shops would want to give you as much information as possible about individual guitars to avoid having loads of returns.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22858
    edited January 2020
    I like the Peach and World Guitars websites best.  Coda are quite good too.  Guitars4You has by far the most informative descriptions.

Guitar Village.... I just don't like the look and layout of the site at all, although the pictures are OK.

Andertons, GAK and GuitarGuitar seem content to box-shift and the info on expensive guitars is hopelessly inadequate.  Should do better.

In the US, the Wildwood site is great - not only weights but neck measurements too!
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    My main issue with Andertons and Richtone is with secondhand stuff. Good photos but almost no description whatsoever. Coda are good for this. I don't even bother with GAK because their website looks like it was made in 1993 by a website designer that caters exclusively for clowns.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Been drooling over the figured maple tops of Gibson Les Paul Standards on traders websites, well the ones that include photos and weight of individual guitars. It seems to me more Uk sites are upping their game and are now doing this. They've been doing it in the US for a while, Wildwood and Sweetwater are excellent for it.

The Good: In the UK, I see Peach, Richtone and Andertons have the weight and very good quality photographs.
    Guitar Guitar and Reidys have the odd photo and no weights.

The Bad: Gak, PMT, Dawsons etc are poor websites with just a stock photo.

Peach Guitars for me have the best website by a mile.

I know some stores might send you a photo and details if you ask, but for guitars, say over 1k, surely this should now be done as a matter of course if your serious about online trading? Or is it an onerous task for smaller traders and not worth doing? I for one, as someone who lives hours from a decent store, appreciate it greatly. Some of the websites need some serious improvement!
    Peach ,Richtone and Andertons are my number one sites to go to  very very good . Recently an Andertons employee was helpful in taking some photos for me when I was making a choice . Thanks Lawrence . 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Wildwire Guitars have nice pics and detailed specs but not weights.

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3027
    edited January 2020
    Good to be pointed towards more decent sites. Now I can spend even more time deciding if I prefer a bourbon burst, iced tea or unburst top! 
  • RonnieHotdogsRonnieHotdogs Frets: 187
    edited January 2020
    Never bought a guitar by weight, if I love it, I love it, and live with its quirks.
    When did this start being a "thing"?

• wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Never bought a guitar by weight, if I love it, I love it, and live with its quirks.

Bad back  :s
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10217

4 hour practices/3 hour gigs with 10lb on your shoulders is very different to having 7lb on them. 
  • What I want from a store website is to see what they’ve got and see it easily. A good menu rather than having to do searches. If should work well on a phone (amazing how many don’t). 

Guitarguitar tick those boxes as far as I’m concerned 

• It seems that US sites have had this practice for a while now, but here it's still seen as acceptable to just upload stock photos of expensive guitars by many shops - besides just looks/weight I also wouldn't buy any of the Player series telecasters sight unseen as there still appears to be many of them being sold with the bad saddles. Richtone, Coda Music and Peach are my main go tos these days  :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7107
    edited January 2020
    What I want from a store website is to see what they’ve got and see it easily. A good menu rather than having to do searches. If should work well on a phone (amazing how many don’t). 

Guitarguitar tick those boxes as far as I’m concerned 

agreed, it seems to be the one that I'm most drawn to as well

they'll knock a couple of quid off a pre-owned too, but selling them anything or trade in and I think they'll try and stiff you compared to some other places
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    Ever since I got old
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher