Are gold foil pickups a one trick pony?

What's Hot
hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 118
edited January 2020 in Guitar
I’ve been really digging any demo I’ve seen of guitars with gold foil pickups and keep backing off from the brink of rash buying decisions. 

But all the demos seem to be through a distorted fender tweed with loads of reverb. I dig the clarity they have when driven, but is this the only situation where they shine? Would a clean vox amp with no reverb work? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    Yes, in fact I think that's where they shine. 

The Tweedy reverb thing probably stems from a Ry Cooder influence, but they excel at totally clean sounds more than most other pickups in my experience.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7869
    edited January 2020
    I had a pair of Mojo Filterfoils (Filtertron mount goldfoils), thought they were epic. Great for clean and dirty, and everything in between. 

There is a little bit of Gretsch Hilotron in there. 

There are plenty of new guitars with Goldfoils fitted. Get yourself to a showroom, and try some for yourself. 
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    I’ve got a pair of McNelly goldfoils in my TLL. They are dual blade splittable humbuckers. I mostly only play clean and they are very good in humbucker and ‘single coil’ mode.  
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5423
    They’re good for slide guitar too...
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    I have one of these and it’s an excellent guitar. Especially clean through an AC30

https://reverb.com/item/31330987-supro-2020ts-westbury-dual-pickup-island-series-electric-guitar-flame-maple-tobacco-burst

I’m kind of teetering on the edge of selling off everything but a simple tele and amp, so if you’re at all interested, let me know...
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I’ve got a Novak gold foil in the neck position of my Jazzmaster. Almost invariably play it clean and it’s wonderful. Really rich, full complex tone. 

If you factor out my ham fisted twanging, obvs.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16099
    Great all round.......Joe Gore does some great vids of them and I love his playing and wackiness
    he has discovered that they dont back off when used with fuzz to clean up