Les Paul necks

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3050
I got myself a 2016 Traditional plain top LP last month and the neck feels pretty chunky. Much fatter than the slim 60s necks.

But on a short visit to Coda yesterday I had a little feel of the 58 Custom Shop LPs and the neck felt even bigger.

Are the 58 reissue Chunky C shape necks bigger than the 50s rounded?

Couldn't find the right info for my question.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would say on the whole and in short yes but the R8’s vary as do most Gibson’s, I’ve played nice full R0’s and less so R9’s. 
  • My memory of trying R8s in the past was the necks were huge.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Found this with my SG as well - much nicer than slim taper but not as fat/D-shaped as a 50s Les Paul neck. The best I’ve found online is it’s either called 50s rounded or 59 rounded.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited January 2020
    Is it just me, or is there a strange obsession with Gibson neck profiles. There seems to be  more talk about them than all of the other brands put together.

When did this become such a 'thing'? Perhaps it was after they made those odd necks in 2015?

Pretty much every Gibson I've played has had a nice neck on it. Some a bit fatter than others, but all good. Slim taper included.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    NelsonP said:
    Is it just me, or is there a strange obsession with Gibson neck profiles. There seems to be  more talk about them than all of the other brands put together.

When did this become such a 'thing'? Perhaps it was after they made those odd necks in 2015?

Pretty much every Gibson I've played has had a nice neck on it. Some a bit fatter than others, but all good. Slim taper included.

Nicest neck ever for me was an 2015 assymetrical slim taper wide neck....................

Saying that, I, too, have a late Traditional with a chunky neck but it's not as chunky as the neck on my 2019 LP Special.

But I find Fender necks more troublesome, not liking the modern C at all and feeling more comfortable with the chunkier ones.  I don't think I'm alone either.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3050
    NelsonP said:

Just curiosity on my part. I'm not a fan of the 60s slim necks because to me, a Les Paul should be heavy, full thickness and have a fat neck. My Traditional is all those things but I did wonder if there were fatter necks or if it was just me liking a £5k guitar I can't afford
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18773
    NelsonP said:

All my Gibson (& other) guitar necks are slightly different and I just adjust to how they feel.
    If you think a neck should feel like a baseball bat, then personally I reckon you have been holding the bat at the wrong end...

Everyone likes a different feel, profile, thickness, finish on a neck & that's all good, I just don't get  'it has to be thick'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tex MexicoTex Mexico Frets: 1196
    NelsonP said:

It's a bit cork-sniffy. Some guys do legitimately prefer bigger necks, some just think they're "better" for whatever period-accurate reason.

In around '08 I chatted with the Gibson UK rep who told me that the USA Traditionals only came with big 50s necks because nobody wanted 60s slim taper anymore.