What would you pay for an early 70's players grade Gibson J-45?

What's Hot
Looking to see what the "going rate" for one of these would be...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Depends on what players grade means in this particular case. £850-1000 Less if you can squeeze it. That’s not necessarily the ‘going rate’

Theres some insane prices for these out there at the moment. Utterly insane. I’m also not entirely sure why anyone would want one at 2k+ must be for the headstock logo only 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andy79 said:
    Depends on what players grade means in this particular case. £850-1000 Less if you can squeeze it. That’s not necessarily the ‘going rate’

Theres some insane prices for these out there at the moment. Utterly insane. I’m also not entirely sure why anyone would want one at 2k+ must be for the headstock logo only 
    Thanks Andy :+1: 
  • I'd rather get a Eastman E10SS if I had a grand or so for a J45 style guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Andy79 said:

The cult of old things over good things.

You can buy a second hand modern Gibson of almost any model for less, and nine times out of ten it will be a better guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4201
    If you could get one cheap it could make a cool plugged-in stage guitar but they are so heavily braced that they're not really anything special acoustically. 

I believe they also have some repair issues relating to the bridge-plate because for some reason they braced all around there too making it very difficult to get at but @ICBM will know more about that than I.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Lewy said:
    If you could get one cheap it could make a cool plugged-in stage guitar but they are so heavily braced that they're not really anything special acoustically. 

I believe they also have some repair issues relating to the bridge-plate because for some reason they braced all around there too making it very difficult to get at but @ICBM will know more about that than I.
    I haven't had to work on the inside of a 70s one personally, but that's correct - the bridgeplate fills the space between the braces, which makes it strong but also very difficult to replace since you can't get at the edges of it. And apparently still not strong enough, even when combined with heavy bracing, to stop the top bellying...

http://www.learn-guitarsetups.com/articles/gibson-j45-bridge-replacement-with-jld-bridge-dr-install

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I borrowed a '72-ish one once thinking it would be ideal for a studio project, but in all honesty it was just a beach guitar. 
  • My Red Lines for used acoustics 

What's the action like?
    Does the truss rod work?
    How much saddle is left? 
    How flat it the top, does it have any belly bulge?

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    edited February 2020
    Just ran through a few of mine...

Awful
    No idea or there isn’t one
    Not much 
    Wasn't it built that way?

On a serious note if it’s a 70s Jumbo with double X bracing the top is unlikely to shift, even when being played