A query regarding wood suitability

Greetings folks,

Now that the Yellowjacket build is complete, Ive started another one, but the *next* project (alongside the double-neck and bass) will be another electric.
I want to do something a little different, and I have some padauk that isn't thick enough to do a solid-body on it's own, and I don't especially want to do a carve top with it. So, I am going to make a 'sandwich' of padauk front and back, with another wood in the middle.
I have a couple of planks that may be suitable (all sourced from a local-ish sawmill in Fife that deals in locally felled timber), and I'd like the forums collective advice/wisdom etc.

First up is some lime. Lightweight, straight-grained, fine texture, light colour (almost holly-white), but a bit soft.
Next is some sweet chestnut. Also reasonably lightweight, coarse open pore not dissimilar to oak, light tan brown colour. Also not the hardest.
Lastly is some ash. Denser, harder, coarse open pored.

Of the 3, Id prefer to use the lime, for its closed pore and light colour. But I haven't come up with much in the way of info. It is soft, but the padauk facing should see that clear.

So, any thoughts?

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    Isn’t Lime Basswood? Much used by manufacturers?

https://www.wood-database.com/basswood/

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

Doh! I completely forgot to check that website.

It isn't quite basswood - that is the American species of lime, though they are related. Actually, having looked on wood-database.com, European Lime favours well in comparison - harder, tougher, more even grain, but also a little denser.

Anyway, I see no reason not to use it. Cheers,

Adam

• Have you seen the latest Crimson Guitars series on YouTube with the padauk explorer he's making? It's got a thin top and back with an open centre.... that'd be very different if you did something along those lines!
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

Yes I have. The padauk I have is not big enough for that sort of thing. I do like his builds, and have taken a fair bit of inspiration. However, I don't think I'd be happy with the sanding/finishing of that style of construction.

What I have in mind here is akin to a '96' model Patrick Eggle had at the Birmingham guitar show last year.