Silvertone resurrection

What's Hot
DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
edited January 2020 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Hi I thought I'd show this, I believe it's a 60s Silvertone, according to Marc at mojo pickups, the job is for him
Anyway some idiot cut through the neck binding to refret and it was a terrible job, I wish people who didn't know what they're doing would leave it alone
The body had cracks in it too which have been repaired now, the sides will get painted back in

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
(formerly customkits)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    This is the fretboard, the inlays have already been out to see how flat the board is, it needed a minor truss rod tweak then I levelled the board just enough as I wanted to keep it fairly original, the inlays needed a bit of scraping to get flush

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Here's the side of the binding, you can see it's been filled with binding goop and I painted the black in again by hand with a tiny artist brush

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Here's the sides that have been repaired, they were all round the sides, I'll mask the binding and paint it all again but leave the front and back

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Before I put the frets in I test tang depth using the same fretwire but file the tang flat so it'll go in without gripping, after that I use a small triangle file across the fret slot then remove enough tang to go over the binding, all the frets went in nicely and I glue them in, I'm pleased with it considering the state of it, next up body painting then fit new hardware and pickups from mojo

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1495
    It looks like it might be a Chris Isaak model.   I have a pickup from one in the neck of one of my tele's.  They were made by Gibson and are like a deluxe pickup but with a 3+3 screw arrangement.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2020 tFB Trader
    PhilKing said:
    It looks like it might be a Chris Isaak model.   I have a pickup from one in the neck of one of my tele's.  They were made by Gibson and are like a deluxe pickup but with a 3+3 screw arrangement.

It is a Chris Isaak model but it was badly abused so Marc's given me his new pickups and bigsby plus the other bits he wants, should be nice when it's done
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1495
    They are very underrated guitars.  They sound great and do play well.  I had a mate who had one.  The pickup in the neck of my tele matches really nicely with the BK Brown Sugar bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Great job.   Nice tip on the fret wire depth testing - I will be adopting that.   
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2963
    tFB Trader
    Good rescue on a handsome guitar, nice one Darren.
    tFB Trader
    Corvus said:
    Good rescue on a handsome guitar, nice one Darren.
    Thanks Bill I'm still messing around with the body, hopefully I can get the sides looking good again, it was a bit of a mess, once that's done I can start getting it together
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)