‘Flattening’ a neck pocket

What's Hot
Can you take an angled neck pocket (for a non-recessed Floyd Rose) and flatten it with a router? i.e. take away the upward angle...

I have a Warmoth body that was done for a non-recessed Floyd Rose. I now have a Gotoh 510  on it - and this would be in order for me to not utilise a reverse shim...

It’s either that or use 12mm long grub screws for the saddles.

Expert opinions most appreciated…
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72612
    You could, but since it's a two-post bridge, just raise the posts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
    Unfortunately mine is a 6 screw Gotoh 510...
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    What’s the depth of the pocket at the front and what’s the depth at the back? What depth do you want the final pocket to be? Does the existing angle allow you to achieve the new final depth?
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    poopot said:
    What’s the depth of the pocket at the front and what’s the depth at the back? What depth do you want the final pocket to be? Does the existing angle allow you to achieve the new final depth?
    What you thinking ? Keep the same angle but route deeper ? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72612
    jaymenon said:
    Unfortunately mine is a 6 screw Gotoh 510...
    Ah... in that case you’re going to have to adjust the pocket angle, I think. Routing is probably the best method, but if you’re skilled with hand tools you could probably do it with chisels. An old-school cabinet maker could certainly get it accurate enough like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    DrBob said:
    poopot said:
    I’m wondering if when the pocket is levelled it will be too deep and require a full pocket shim to bring it back up to depth.

say it’s 16mm at the front and 18mm at the back currently. When it’s levelled it’ll be 18mm deep all over... 

the bridge saddles will bottom out before the action is low enough.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    poopot said: uni
    DrBob said:
    poopot said:
    I’m wondering if when the pocket is levelled it will be too deep and require a full pocket shim to bring it back up to depth.

say it’s 16mm at the front and 18mm at the back currently. When it’s levelled it’ll be 18mm deep all over... 

the bridge saddles will bottom out before the action is low enough.
    Thanks @poopot I’ve got a similar thing on a bitsa I’m trying to put together for my daughter that helps tremendously!
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 836
    I used a stewmac shim (the other way round). Worked perfectly...

Thanks chaps for all your helpful suggestions!