Gretsch 6228 used prices?

What's Hot
Hello

I might be moving on my Gretsch 6228. I spend my time playing acoustic so i'm moving this on to make way for a new acoustic.
 I have kept all original parts but changed the pickup to TV Jones, Custom Guard to match logo, Bigsby, and towner bar. 

If i was selling with original parts, how much would i put it up for?

pics linked here. Its beauty i think

http://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/6228-mods-complete-what-you-think.193759/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The mods/improvements you made won’t necessarily reflect in the selling price.

New these are just over EUR 2K on Thomann, 2nd hand on Reverb people seem to be asking EUR 1600-1800ish, though realistically I think those sellers would accept EUR 1500 or probably even a bit less.

I know considerable expense went in to the upgrades but you might be better off putting it back to stock and selling the hardware/pickups separately.
  • I bought mine with TV Jones for £1250. I would definitely sell the other bits separately if you want to claw back what you put into it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7913
    Upgrades have little influence on price.  I bought a 6128 for £800 a few years ago. I've seen many sell for below £1000 on ebay, particularly if they don't have a Bigsy.   

I wouldn't pay more than £1300 for any Pro Line Gretsch. I might go to £1600 for a Falcon (Black Phoenix), but that's about it.  

Start at £1600, and be prepared for offers.  Set yourself a minimum price, and stick to it.  It should eventually go. 

if you want maximum money, restore it to stock, and sell the upgrades off separately. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks everyone! I'll get it back to standard!
  • Realistically I would say you’ll do well to get 1200/1300
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
    Never understand why used Gretsch suffer such depreciation, as they are lovely geetars.

I genuinely think £1000 looks all the money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • They are like most other brands, it depends on the model. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Never understand why used Gretsch suffer such depreciation, as they are lovely geetars.

I genuinely think £1000 looks all the money.
    Thomann have them for £1690. So general rule of thumb would be to knock a third to 40% off a guitar second hand, depending on what it is of course. So with that you are close to  £1100. 

And depending on how quickly you want to sell, another £100 off it sounds about right.

I wouldn’t mind but these are cracking guitars. Not super Gretschy at all. The stock pickups have a bit more midrange and output than Filtertrons and its a guitar capable of covering a lot of ground in terms of styles/genres of music. In terms of stylings/playing not dissimilar from a Les Paul but significantly lighter in weight.

Anyway, good luck with the sale, whoever buys it will be getting a very fine instrument.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    thanks everyone! I'll get it back to standard!
    Seems a shame to do that, it looks awesome as is. Perhaps offer it for sale in either config and see what a buyer wants. 
  • just been offered £1200 on reverb. The buyer needs it shipped to Czech Republic which i'm not over happy about and wants in uninsured shipping for £50 included in the £1200

(3.5% fees, plus paypal fees 3.5% plus shipping.

Its not an ideal offer as if the guitar gets to him broken i'm probably the one that has to cough up.

What do you think guys>
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    just been offered £1200 on reverb. The buyer needs it shipped to Czech Republic which i'm not over happy about and wants in uninsured shipping for £50 included in the £1200

Its not an ideal offer as if the guitar gets to him broken i'm probably the one that has to cough up.

What do you think guys>
    Nah - I wouldn’t bother too much risk on your part...

Also are the delivery companies still delivering internationally??
    We are all Chameleons...
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    just been offered £1200 on reverb. The buyer needs it shipped to Czech Republic which i'm not over happy about and wants in uninsured shipping for £50 included in the £1200

What do you think guys>
    Not a chance. If someone starts asking for uninsured shipping whilst having paid through PayPal alarm bells should go off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1304

What do you think guys>
    It stinks. If you did go through with this deal I would be more surprised by it actually working out as opposed to it not working out.

Also, seeing as signed deliveries are a tricky thing at the moment, it makes it a lot easier for someone to say that they never received something.
  • yeah thanks guys. Although i do need the money it did seem a bit suspect. 

Well if anyone wants to buy the Gretsch UK based on collection. Please let me know :)

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    I sold my minter for £1,095 + shipping to a buyer in Germany last week - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193385209827
  • StefB said:
    I sold my minter for £1,095 + shipping to a buyer in Germany last week - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193385209827
    Safe transaction? Receive the guitar in one piece?

See i'm tempted to put mine back to original then sell the parts. 

£1095 is fairly good i suppose in this current situation.

Why did you wanna sell yours?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    StefB said:
    Safe transaction? Receive the guitar in one piece?

See i'm tempted to put mine back to original then sell the parts. 

£1095 is fairly good i suppose in this current situation.

Why did you wanna sell yours?
    Wonderfully easy transaction, lovely buyer. Fully insured shipping was only £40 too with DPD, via Transglobal Express. 

Beautiful guitar but just wasn’t ‘me’ and I’ve acquired rather a lot of Gibsons recently so something had to give. If I could afford to keep everything then it would have stayed, without question. 

I was more than happy with £1,095 in the current climate, sold on a £1 eBay deal too, and the seller felt he got a bargain, so we were both happy. 
  • Ok.... so I got it wrong with the buyer. He DOES want it fully insured. He really loves the guitar and is messaging me lots about sealing a deal.

its on eBay but I’ll put it on reverb to save 6.5% on fees. He is happy with that.

but when @StefB said fully insured for £40 I thought this might be alright.

what do you think? It doesn’t feel as scam like now.

i did say are you on fretboard but he said no as it’s UK only?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3636
    Ok.... so I got it wrong with the buyer. He DOES want it fully insured. He really loves the guitar and is messaging me lots about sealing a deal.

its on eBay but I’ll put it on reverb to save 6.5% on fees. He is happy with that.

but when @StefB said fully insured for £40 I thought this might be alright.

what do you think? It doesn’t feel as scam like now.

i did say are you on fretboard but he said no as it’s UK only?
    Don't think it's UK only.

We have members from many different countries on here. 
  • He said UK IP address only but gave me his email address.