buying a gigbag online. why's it such a pain?

What's Hot
bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
thomann seems pretty good at giving detailed listings, if a little confusing. 

but most other sites are rubbish. one front-on picture, no weight or thickness listed. "colour: black/grey". are people really gonna spend ~£50 based on one bad picture?

seems insane that, if i wanted a £2k guitar delivered tomorrow, it would be really easy to do it and be informed, but those same big box dealers struggle to tell me the weight and thickness of a gig bag?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    I suspect it's because the perception is that most people buying gigbags don't give a shit, and those that do give a shit buy Mono stuff. 

But I completely agree there is a world of good stuff between Mono and flimsy Stagg level bags.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    You see what's happened is consumers chased the best price and the cheapest deal. So big online retailers slowly took over pushed high street shops (where you could look touch and feel stuff) out of business and now the big on line retailers don't give a shit about what you need - because really you wanted the moon on a stick and what they gave us is just shit on a stick ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s useful if they list the interior length , I went with the pro go as it’s a bit longer than a strat plus you can remove an extra bottom piece of padding if needed. It means my Jackson SLX can fit comfy and without removing bottom block of padding . I noticed a few are very snug with a strat looking at pics and interior measurements . SKB single cut ones are well snug but very sturdy 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    I'd probably do it by finding a forum thread where a specific one is recommended and has been used with the same guitar you want to use it with.

I do highly recommend the Mono btw.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1385
    i would very much like a mono case for the firebird, but it'd have to be the bass version, meaning it would *only* fit the firebird. and i can't really afford one right now anyway.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2807
    I agree with you, it’s a pain.  I had the same thought when I bought one recently.  I ended up going to GuitarGuitar but their stock was pretty limited (Camden).  I ended up with the “best” Fender one they had because it was for a Fender so I knew it was likely to fit (not a given and I’m still not entirely convinced).  Functional, does the job, but not great.
  • Reunion Blues also make high quality gigbags.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got Reunion Blues (Double Strat in Black leather - don’t even ask what that cost!), Mono and an old Fender Custom Shop Blue Leather gigbag. All are excellent and I wouldn’t even consider anything of less quality. There was a Fender Custom Shop gigbag Made by Reunion Blues a couple of years back - if you can find one of those it is brilliant. About £180 as I recall. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got a Protection Racket gig bag, it's great as far as protecting the guitar but it's absolutely massive! Semi rigid sides, adjustable cushions... it's almost like a hard case. Was only about £70 from GAK.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    I've got a Protection Racket gig bag, it's great as far as protecting the guitar but it's absolutely massive! Semi rigid sides, adjustable cushions... it's almost like a hard case. Was only about £70 from GAK.
    I have this exact one too. Really good. The interior is tall and rigid enough that I even leave my strat trem arm in when transporting. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6196
    tFB Trader
    I’m a really big fan of the reunion blues gigbags..... really well made, comfy to wear and actually provide protection for your guitars... 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • I had this issue when finding a gig bag for my Gretsch. In the end I contacted Andertons and asked them what one would fit the guitar. 
    I ended up with an Andertons branded one but it's superb