Les Paul flame tops

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    Barnezy said:
    Get a 2017 R8. Great buys and plain tops are cool! 

This looks lovely, plain top for the win!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3024
    edited February 2020
    roberty said:
    I'm excited for you mate. Whichever you choose I'm sure you'll love it
    Ta @roberty  I’m imagining rocking out to Ironman on it already. 

Didn’t you buy an R8 from Peach online? Did it work out?

I’ve read the customer reviews of Peach and I’m very encouraged they can help me choose ‘the one’.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited February 2020
    If its not for you'll they'll take it back easily enougth I'd imagine ? And if you want a flame top, then get a flame top. You won't be happy if you don't when that's what your heart desires;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new 60's Standard from Peach. They've just got a new batch in, each photographed individually. I'm looking at the Bourbon Bursts and Iced Tea, the lighter ones that come in around 9 lb's. Now there is quite a variation in the tops, some with very obvious flaming, other more subtle, others less clear almost quilt like. The flames on some are angled forwards, some angled back, some flatly horizontal. For instance, see the difference between 132790156 and 132790120:

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-are-back/gibson-2019-les-paul-standard-60s-bourbon-burst.htm

Or check out the flame on 132690142, it's extreme, too flashy for some maybe?

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-usa/gibson-2019-les-paul-standard-60s-iced-tea.htm

Just want to ask more about this 'flaming' business, it's hell of a job deciding which I prefer (I'm indecisive at the best of times), or perhaps to give me a sense or perspective and to stop being so undecisive...…...I realise it's 100% personal preference, it would be interest to know if you flame big or subtle. Or out of interest, which tops of Peach do you prefer?

That second one has R9 level flame and (I think) a one piece body. A wee bit heavy for my liking but stunning.
  • TINMAN82 said:

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new 60's Standard from Peach. They've just got a new batch in, each photographed individually. I'm looking at the Bourbon Bursts and Iced Tea, the lighter ones that come in around 9 lb's. Now there is quite a variation in the tops, some with very obvious flaming, other more subtle, others less clear almost quilt like. The flames on some are angled forwards, some angled back, some flatly horizontal. For instance, see the difference between 132790156 and 132790120:

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-are-back/gibson-2019-les-paul-standard-60s-bourbon-burst.htm

Or check out the flame on 132690142, it's extreme, too flashy for some maybe?

https://www.peachguitars.com/brands/gibson-usa/gibson-2019-les-paul-standard-60s-iced-tea.htm

Just want to ask more about this 'flaming' business, it's hell of a job deciding which I prefer (I'm indecisive at the best of times), or perhaps to give me a sense or perspective and to stop being so undecisive...…...I realise it's 100% personal preference, it would be interest to know if you flame big or subtle. Or out of interest, which tops of Peach do you prefer?

That second one has R9 level flame and (I think) a one piece body. A wee bit heavy for my liking but stunning.
    You mean the Iced Tea shown on the second link, which is the 233?

Not sure if everyone realizes  there is a drop down menu to view several guitars under each of those two links.

• johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Honestly nothing to worry about ordering online, particularly from Peach. Whenever I buy guitars online I ask someone to take a look at a few for me and tell me what they think - GuitarGuitar have always been happy to do this for me and I know Peach have excellent service too. If the guitar isn't as expected you'll be able to return it without issues.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    johnl said:
    Honestly nothing to worry about ordering online, particularly from Peach. Whenever I buy guitars online I ask someone to take a look at a few for me and tell me what they think - GuitarGuitar have always been happy to do this for me and I know Peach have excellent service too. If the guitar isn't as expected you'll be able to return it without issues.
    Given that I've had a Custom Les Paul with neck angle that was too steep, I would stongly recommend trying before buying.

The other thing to bear in mind is that they don't all sound the same.  I've had 3 Custom Shop Les Pauls, and they have all sounded different.

You can send back one that you bought online, but what you don't know is if the one next to it in the shop is better.

If the OP can't get down South to places like Peach and Andertons, the Birmingham branch of Guitar Guitar wouldn't be such a long journey.  I think there is a PMT in Birmingham as well.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    crunchman said:
    johnl said:
    Given that I've had a Custom Les Paul with neck angle that was too steep, I would stongly recommend trying before buying.

The other thing to bear in mind is that they don't all sound the same.  I've had 3 Custom Shop Les Pauls, and they have all sounded different.

You can send back one that you bought online, but what you don't know is if the one next to it in the shop is better.

Where does it stop though? Yes the one next to it in the shop might sound better on a given day but that’s subjective. The one 30miles down the road might sound better still. The one in store 100 miles away might have a nicer top and sound better still. They may only have 1 example of a given guitar in the shop closest to you.

Provided the dealer is good (Eg Peach or Coda) and you have the option to return for a refund, I don’t see a problem ordering online. That’s how I got most of the guitars I now consider keepers. I’ve returned a fair few too.

Going back to the OP, where Les Paul’s in particular are concerned aesthetics and weight are very important to many and buying online opens up a much larger selection. 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    edited February 2020
    Plain tops look classy. Flame tops look try hard and cheapen a LP. Just IMHO.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited February 2020

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on a new 60's Standard from Peach. They've just got a new batch in, each photographed individually. I'm loo

Buying a guitar; especially, and probably more so than any other high end, a Gibson Les Paul has to be a labour of love.

You have to go out, try them and find the one you bond with. 

This is why so many owners change guitars so often or never quite gel..., bought on-line; a clinical transaction. 

Not such an issue with the cheaper guitars where at worst 50% depreciation may only be £100-£200.

Some of my best and lasting memories over the last 25 years are from the expeditions to find my new guitar or amp; and the magic when you find the right one.

To answer your question, they all look good though but give peach a call as they can match to what you want if you can't go and try them. Don't go off the looks alone. 
  • clarkefan said:
    Everything ICBM said above is mint.
    Hmmmm that’s unusual  ;)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Barnezy said:
    Get a 2017 R8. Great buys and plain tops are cool! 

Plain tops are the best!!!!!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    gold tops are the best actually
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Here is a gratuitous shot of the guitar in my avatar:

love it. pm me first if u ever decide to sell!
  • tony99 said:
    gold tops are the best actually
    Ohhhh that’s a good point, I’d take a plain top over a gold top, but both over anything else. 
  • Both looks good. I was looking for unburst from peach guitar :)