First partscaster problem - neck too wide

What's Hot
Just tried putting a nice All Parts TMO V neck on a Squier CV60s Tele body and it's about 1 mm too wide at the heel. I was foolishly confident after putting a Fender MIM Esquire neck straight and easily onto similar Squier body years ago without problem and assumed All Parts neck would be same width as the Fender 50s one. So what to do? I'm guessing that I need to carefully sand down the heel a bit on each side. The lower section has far more wood on show obviously than the upper bit so it's presumably a case of sanding small section. I have a feeling that the pre-drilled holes in the neck won't quite be the same either but that's for another day... Your help appreciated. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    If the neck is finished then take the wood out of the neck pocket sides with a small sanding block instead. With a bit of wax to reduce friction you can then get it in. 1mm is nothing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    Standard advice seems to be take wood off the neck. It’s a nitro finish on the neck. If I get that off at the heel it might slide in... either way I’ll get sandpaper out tomorrow
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 887
    I’d take it out of the pocket. The neck being more valuable than the body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    That's why I don't like all parts necks, too wide imo, I had to open a pocket by a mm which was very annoying 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Is the neck new or used? Is it finished?
    Bought the neck off ebay, nitro finish, Gotoh tuners, barely used. Seemed like a good idea at the time! Then bought used CV 60s for the lovely bound body. Expected to sell CV neck although it’s v nice...
    tFB Trader
    Remember, the applied finish on the heel of the neck will have added the extra width. I believe a dry fit would have worked. 
    Is it easy to sand off nitro finish?
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    The squier CV neck pockets are narrower than standard - I opened mine up by about 1mm carefully using a sanding block along each side, taking a small amount off each time and keeping it square. The warmoth site lists the standard neck pocket size if you need to check.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    The neck I got given was unfinished and still too wide
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    That's why I don't like all parts necks, too wide imo, I had to open a pocket by a mm which was very annoying 
    Ive never had an oversize Allparts neck...weird...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Having never sanded a body pocket before, it seems more problematic than working on the neck. It’s the curved section that will surely require a deft touch?
    edited February 2020
    If it’s the width that’s the issue you wont need to do much sanding to the curve, and some Tele bodies have extra material machines from the curved area anyway. Post a photo of the body so we can advise.

As I said I fitted a standard width neck to my CV thin line body and has to sand a small amount away. I’m an engineer so i have a set of vernier callipers, so could measure everything to work out that the body neck pocket wasn’t the standard width.

i did all the light sanding with a cork sanding block and about 400 grit sandpaper.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Thanks Mark. I think that’s what I’ll try. Is the rule of thumb that you sand the less valuable of the two parts? 
  • TBH I'd recommend measuring both pocket and neck heel as accurately as possible and adjust which ever is not to normal spec (possibly both!). If you don't, you'll end up with 2 non-standard parts which might still be annoying if you switch things around in future. This way you'll end up with two standard-fit parts that can be used on other guitars with ease.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Here’s the warmoth neck size info, my cv body had a 55mm width pocket rather than 56mm. You should be able to check that with a ruler.

https://www.warmoth.com/guitar/bodies/options/guitarneckpocket.aspx
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    The neck runs from 54mm to 55.5mm...
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    There is a lesson here for folk wanting to get into partscaster, although Fender and Squier are modular and many parts are interchangeable, NOT ALL ARE, if at all possible measure before buying.....
    or keep the parts and find parts that are compatible and build another and another and another!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

tFB Trader
    Pics would be good. 

My approach would be to message the seller of the neck and ask what he used to spray the neck. If it was from a rattle can, buy a can of the same tint and proceed to lightly sand the heel of the neck. You can then touch up the sanded area on the neck and achieve a colour match. 

I hasten to add that if you’re not comfortable or confident doing any of the work I’d suggest taking the body and neck to your local tech. 
    Pics would be good. 

My approach would be to message the seller of the neck and ask what he used to spray the neck. If it was from a rattle can, buy a can of the same tint and proceed to lightly sand the heel of the neck. You can then touch up the sanded area on the neck and achieve a colour match. 

I hasten to add that if you’re not comfortable or confident doing any of the work I’d suggest taking the body and neck to your local tech. 
    But you then end up with a non standard neck, that will be difficult to sell on. The dimensions given by OP show it’s  the body neck pocket that’s not standard, just needs a slight sanding to widen it. Doesn’t take much as the wood on the treble side only extends 10mm along the side of the neck.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1