How to measure BPM of a song?

What's Hot
Is there an App that can be synced to a piece of music to show the BPM?  In other words how do you determine the BPM of the song?  Thanks. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15488
    dunno if there's an app, but I tend to do it old school, get the beat in my head and tap it out, then adjust a metronome till I get the BPM. Can take a few tries sometimes, as the metronome beat can override the beat in my head, but I get then in the end.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    For a rough guide tap along here

http://www.beatsperminuteonline.com/

To know exactly import the song into a DAW and adjust the metronome until the bars line up with the musics beats 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    ASD (automatic slow down) app does it, As well as its raison d’etre of slowing down (and speeding up) tracks 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Many DAW's can analyse the tempo with a plugin- Logic does for certain.
  • LiveBPM on the app store listens and displays the BPM along with a graph showing any change.

Great for keeping drummers honest and teaching kids what BPM to aim for when they're practising.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use Anytune (laptop and iPad) for learning new stuff. Slow recordings down without pitch changes, loop a section, etc. That tells me the bpm of a recording, although it sometimes obviously doubles what it really is. 

But if I'm doing it myself, I just use a metronome app with a tap button. I tap in time with the music and it tells me the bpm I'm tapping. 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    LiveBPM on the app store listens and displays the BPM along with a graph showing any change.

Great for keeping drummers honest and teaching kids what BPM to aim for when they're practising.
    I tried to use LiveBPM at the last herts Jam, but was scuppered by the bloody guitarists playing the rhythm bits too quickly! ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    https://www.foobar2000.org/download Foobar will do it for you automatically. Sometimes it'll be out by 1/2 or 2x, but it's easily fixed.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Thanks @oaf, I use Foobar as my default player on my PC.  Where is the BPM info in the program?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• oafoaf Frets: 300

Right click on the track(s) and it is an option (for me anyway). It may be that it's a component that you have to add (I can't remember) but it was fairly straightforward to get working.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14432
    octatonic said:
    Many DAW's can analyse the tempo with a plugin - Logic does for certain.
    The corollary to this is that, whenever the tempo of different sections of the song shift, it is necessary to write this information into the DAW Tempo track ... with convincing ramping up or down. 

This done, your tempo-dependent effects and A.I. drum/percussion Instruments will synchronise.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    Rocker said:
    Is there an App that can be synced to a piece of music to show the BPM?  In other words how do you determine the BPM of the song?  Thanks. 
    Download Riffstation for free. Open file /select song. When you play it , it gives you the bpm.