First go at drum mics

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Personally I loathe the D112. If you can get a Beyer Opus 65, or an Audio-Technica ATM-25, I think those both sound much better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Stuckfast said:
    Personally I loathe the D112. If you can get a Beyer Opus 65, or an Audio-Technica ATM-25, I think those both sound much better.
    Same- I only use the D112 with a U87 to get the click from the D112.
    I almost always use a Beta 52 or Beyer M88.
    Sometimes an Audix D6 if I want a lot of click.
    Sennheiser e902 is good too.
  • Branshen said:
    We used those same rodes as overheads on our last demo too..drummer has a set, I have some t-bone ones in my collection which work ok but arent quite as nice

We wrote and recorded this in a 4hour rehearsal then mixed it down the nextnight

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VMmYQagmeZ9Nju3Y5thwW3TNw7Np4RbV/view?usp=sharing
    are you gonna give TFB another chance to butcher, I mean mix, your band? haha
    I'd be happy to if there's interest :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Finally managed to pick up an M88 for a reasonable price last week -- really looking forward to trying that next time I do a drum session.
  • octatonic said:
    Stuckfast said:
    I have a D6 too but for me the D112 has always sounded better...maybe its more sensitive to positioning. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Stuckfast said:
    Finally managed to pick up an M88 for a reasonable price last week -- really looking forward to trying that next time I do a drum session.
    Good on a bass amp too.
    Mix it with a ribbon (Royer 121 or Beyer M160) a few feet back and phase adjust in the mix, or use a Little Labs IBP.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Branshen said:
    We used those same rodes as overheads on our last demo too..drummer has a set, I have some t-bone ones in my collection which work ok but arent quite as nice

We wrote and recorded this in a 4hour rehearsal then mixed it down the nextnight

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VMmYQagmeZ9Nju3Y5thwW3TNw7Np4RbV/view?usp=sharing
    I am! Been wanting to test my new drum mixing technique which I've polished the past couple of months. And! we've gone abit without an ongoing mix challenge.. (Paging the man @poopot!)
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Branshen said:
    Branshen said:

I am! Been wanting to test my new drum mixing technique which I've polished the past couple of months. And! we've gone abit without an ongoing mix challenge.. (Paging the man @poopot!)
    Oh blimey!... I will do another mix challenge... but... sort of in the middle of a house renovation...

we have gone from this:

Via this:

To this:

And that’s just one room!... whole house has been replastered... new floors throughout... etc etc etc and I’ve been doing it all... I had Christmas Day and Boxing Day off but I’ve either been doing proper work or the house since the 1st November...

Gimme a few weeks and I’ll be back with the challenges...

that said... 

we could do a “drum mixing challenge” if you have stems to share!...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    poopot said:
    Branshen said:
    Branshen said:

Oh blimey!... I will do another mix challenge... but... sort of in the middle of a house renovation...

we have gone from this:

Via this:

To this:

And that’s just one room!... whole house has been replastered... new floors throughout... etc etc etc and I’ve been doing it all... I had Christmas Day and Boxing Day off but I’ve either been doing proper work or the house since the 1st November...

that said... 

Good work!! That looks proper classy now but the installations don't look very appropriate for a music studio. How odd...

btw, PM me if you need help organising the mix challenge. I could give you a hand with it.

Sorry for the thread derail OP. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    octatonic said:
    Stuckfast said:
    Traditionally I'd say how much I like my RE20 but the f*cking thing broke.
  • poopot said:
    Branshen said:
    Branshen said:

we have gone from this:

Via this:

To this:

that said... 

Yeah could do, I have a good variety of guerilla style, throw some mics up in the rehearsal room and ones recorded using pro gear / people who know what they're doing, isolation rooms, nice live rooms etc..Might be interesting to do something to let people see the difference.

There *is* a difference, particularly in overheads / rooms but I think its surprising what you can actually get away with.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ