What mod have you done that you're still not sure about?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72420
    EdGrip said:
    I put a 4-way switch in when I made my telemaster thing - I thought, might as well, really. I wired it the FUCKING OBVIOUS way:

Bridge

Bridge/Neck parallel

Bridge/Neck series

Neck

I don't know why more people don't do it this way it seems weird to have the single pickup points anywhere other than at opposite ends of the switch's travel, but whatevs.
    When I did it to mine I had it:

Series
    Bridge 
    Parallel
    Neck

Which to me is the most logical because the series sound is the 'loud' setting, and on a Tele if I want loud I want to be able to just whack the switch to the back.

I still didn't like the 4-way switch though - it seemed less intuitive to use when the "middle" setting (ie parallel) isn't in the middle.

I can sort-of see the logic of having the series sound at the neck end because it's the most 'bassy', kind of like having a humbucker in the neck. What really puzzles me is why they faff around with having the neck pickup floating in the series position (so you need an extra ground wire for the cover) when on most modern Teles the bridge has a separate ground from the pickup anyway so it's easier to do it with the bridge pickup!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    I'd rather do series/parallel on a push-push than a switch I think. Is that doable? I can't think why not but have my weekend brain on now. 

Speaking of which, I'm thinking about Esquiring my black Tele with clever wiring and taking the Bigsby off for now. See how I get on. Maybe even go for some clever wiring after that. All cheap mods, and worth a go. Though I reckon a rosewood neck is the way to go.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260

I'd rather do series/parallel on a push-push than a switch I think. Is that doable? I can't think why not but have my weekend brain on now. 

Mmmm.... 

I'm thinking some sort of "blower" switch arrangement might be nice where a single switch (either a mini-toggle tucked away somewhere or a push/push) takes me from whatever I've got setup on the otherwise standard wiring to both pickups in series straight to the jack with everything bypassed for instant balls-out, screaming lunatic, nutter mode and then back again when I've finished making a fool of myself. Doable?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    My tele 4 way goes:

neck
    both
    bridge
    bridge NO TONE!!!

never happier.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    JayGee said:

Mmmm.... 

I'm thinking some sort of "blower" switch arrangement might be nice where a single switch (either a mini-toggle tucked away somewhere or a push/push) takes me from whatever I've got setup on the otherwise standard wiring to both pickups in series straight to the jack with everything bypassed for instant balls-out, screaming lunatic, nutter mode and then back again when I've finished making a fool of myself. Doable?
    Ezzackerly :)

I have something approaching that on my Jazz Bass (albeit still going through the volume control) and it's great for a pseudo-P-bass thing. 

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on a Tele too. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    Did the Monte Allums mod on my Blues Driver. I'm not suggesting it's bad, far from it, other people have tried it and like it but it's really not what I expected. Damn site quiter though. dilbert
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    frankus said:
    My tele 4 way goes:

neck
    both
    bridge
    bridge NO TONE!!!

never happier.

I might do this, had never considered it before, I seldom use the series position on my tele anyway.
    Gagaryn said:
    frankus said:
    My tele 4 way goes:

neck
    both
    bridge
    bridge NO TONE!!!

never happier.

I might do this, had never considered it before, I seldom use the series position on my tele anyway.
    @frankus - could you point me to a wiring diagram for that - I tried to figure it out but it's confusing me! Cheers.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'll see what I can find
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    cheers